THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Stockmakers (fitting drop box mag)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, for you stock makers, got a couple of questions.

I'm building a 404 jeffery, I have a piece of English that if its not to skinny I plan to have turned for Mdl 70 classic action. I plan to use Blackburn bottom metal so I can get 4 down. (yes I know I should have went the CZ route and wouldnt have to do this, but its to late to turn back).

I'm not sure with a drop box if you fit the bottom first like a Mauser or the action first. I would think with a Drop box I would need to fit the barreled action first, then fit the bottom metal to get the correct relation between mag lips and rails etc for feeding.

Comments please

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Gringo,
On any one piece triggerguard I always fit the bottom metal first.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On mausers and such I have always done the bottom first. What I didnt make clear was I am having a stock turned with about 1/2" extra at the bottom for the deep magazine, not sure where the magazine is going to bottom out. Figured I get the bottom started first, but not all the way, then do the action, then bottom out the bottom whereever it needs to end up. I didn't make myself very clear when I make the post. Just not sure what the procedure is for a slightly pot belled DG type stock.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Billy - First of all, I have never stocked a mauser with a drop box magazine, so my $0.02 may not be even worth that much. I am a firm believer, however, in determining stock dimensions on paper before I start making sawdust. If you have established and trued the top-line of the barrel channel, it should be relatively simple to determine the bottom-line of the stock (at the magazine) by measuring the "mated" action and magazine/triggerguard. I measure the front and rear depth, at the areas corresponding to the outside corners of the magazine box. Turn the semi-inlet stock upside down with the top of the barrel channel flat against the bench top. Transfer your measurements to the appropriate locations in the magazine mortise, measuring from and perpendicular to the benchtop. Then plane or rasp the bottom of the stock down to the line defined by your marks. Of course, leave 1/16" or so extra wood for final fitting. Good luck!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your going to have stock turned then use a drop box pattern, please!! You probably can get away with it, but your courting disaster at the same time....

Most gunsmiths have a M-70 drop box pattern, if not I'll give you the address of someone who does...

Posts: 41960 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote