New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 88 Front Sight Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm removing the ramp off a Win 88 (I have to shorten the barrel because of a bulge), and I see no screws, can I safely assume that the front sight ramp on this rifle is soldered on? - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody? - Dan

posted Hide Post
It has been a long time since I did one of them, & as I get older I can't remember some things as clear as I would like to.

But if I remember right, they were silver-soldered on. I do know some of the later post 64 M94's were induction welded, (spot welded).

Posts: 26 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, I tried to get one off but could'nt. My gunsmith also tried and we couldn't with damaging the bbl. It's more than soldered ! I was cutting mine down to 20" but still had to remove the ramp. we ended up just cutting the bbl. Hope you have better luck.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how they are attached but, a couple of mine show a small dot through the blue that may be a brass pin, I'm not sure. I've never tried to remove one.
Best of luck and let us know if you find out.
Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan: Earliest barrels had some that were silver brazed on just like the Fwt 70 bbls. They were prepared at the same time. Later ones used a silver bearing solder. Easiest test.Welding torch heating THE RAMP-not the whole end of barrel including ramp- ahead of the bulge.If solder it will bead out from under the edges of the ramp. You can get the ramp dark red. The ramp will probably be humped up over the bulge so you grab the vise grips and adjust for a good bite on the ramp. If the bead is silver colored you don't need to heat it red. The idea is a big torch and all the heat on the ramp and quickly done. If silver slide it forward off the muzzle. The tempering temperature for the barrel steel is well above that for the silver looking solder. If it is the earlier brazed on ramp you heat back toward the bulge and peel it off, heating the ramp close to the barrel lifting the ramp upward while avoiding a direct heat transfer. If you get chicken somewhere along the way you can always saw the peeled up part and grind the difference. BTW I'm not listening to CKUA at the moment- You didn't start thinking snow a bit too hard did you? If you did its spilling over down here. You can turn it off any time now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Thomas, that is exactly what I was looking for. No, the snow wishing wasn't me, we already had enough for hunting. Probably my daughter's fault though, she's a skier. How are you doing? - Dan