Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 41 problems
 Login/Join

posted
I am having problems getting my 41 which has the 5-1/2 barrel to eject and then feed Aguila SE ammo. What is the length and weight of the factory spring? What luck have you had in either cutting the spring down or replacing it with a lighter spring to solve this type of problem? Is the factory spring designed for use with high velocity ammo or is it designed for standard velocity.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
S&W 41's can be finicky about the ammo. Is this the first time you're using Aquila?

I have to club members with S&W M41's that will NOT use Aquila or Fed Gold 711B. They use CCI or, I think, PMC or Eley.

Rich

Posts: 6459 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used the same 41 for last winters league with the same ammo and had no problems. The only difference is that for this season I swapped out the 7 inch barrel with iron sights for the 5-1/2 barrel that has the scope on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a weight difference in the 7" vs 5.5 inch barrel. The weight of the scope also changes the recoil. You can buy lighter springs from Brownells or wolf. I would save your old spring so if you go back to the other barrel.
JMHO
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience has been the same as richj.

There are many bullseye shooters with M41's in my area. Aguila has not been reliable enough to shoot in competition. Although it is usually very accurate.

Most use CCI SV.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
My uncle had a 41 w/ both barrels and the only thing that would feed out of it was the hotter loads. Mini-Mags and the like. No match ammo would feed a whole mag w/out jamming or stovepiping. For a gun that cost that much it was an frustrating beast. I will say that it shot like a house fire though when it fed. I shot my best off-hand groups w/ that gun by far.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote