Find
Notify
Tools

Who is bringing in Mausers now?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted
Remington took over the line from Chas Dailey, did anyone take over from Remmy? I have an itching for a new Mauser project and wanted to build on a commercial double square low buck action. Just getting tired of bending bolts or reheat treating after milling and welding up thumb cuts.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You can get the Zastava Mausers here:

Century Arms

Posts: 57 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Thanx guys. Guess I just miss the days of the 300 or 400 buck barreled action.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hhmag:
Thanx guys. Guess I just miss the days of the 300 or 400 buck barreled action.

Ha! I remember the days of the $65 Mark X barreled actions. Still hunt with mine.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember the days of the $65 Mark X barreled actions. Still hunt with mine.

Never made the $65 but still shooting several that were around $115

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I bought lots of them from Herters for $65, both Mk10s, (Herters J9) and the BSA ones which were called the Herters U9s. Blued, barreled actions. I wish I had bought a truck load of them. That was in the early 70s.

Posts: 17174 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, the early 70's. And I had to put that $65 barreled action in layaway!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, the early 70's. And I had to put that $65 barreled action in layaway!

Lets see I bought my first in around 1975. While I would swear the actions were in the $95-100 range and the barreled actions around $115. I sure wouldn't put any $$ on it. I have slept way to many times since then. I have a 22-250 that has 1000s of rounds through it and still shoots about .75MOA and a 25-06 that will do sub .75. Thought I would replace them when the barrel wore out. I gave up on that they will just go to the kids in the distant future.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bought my first one in either the fall of 69 or the spring of 70. Price was definitely $65. I never forget anything. I no longer have any of them.

Posts: 17174 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never forget anything

rotflmo rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Bought my Santa Barbra 6MM in 1973 for 100 bucks, saved up for it!!

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made $85 a week at the first job I had after getting out of the Corps in '71

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assume you are in Florida. Have an Academny Sports and Outdoors store in your area? If so, check the store for a Zavasta mauser. Was in my local Academy here in Texas last
Saturday and noticed they had them on sale for $429. But, think they only have 270 Win and 30-06.

One of my least favorite stores to buy from is Gander Mt. For some time they've been selling Yugo surplus mausers, but don't recall their price.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I can get milsurplus all day, I was just looking for those handy little Zastava barreled actions. You got the bottom metal, adjustable trigger, drilling and tapping and a pretty usable barrel for a reasonable price. Polish it up a bit and give it a good bluing and stock it reasonably well with decent wood and you could give your customers a nice "semi custom" rifle for a good price. Some guys want something that isn't an off the shelf package deal, they want to feel good about a fancy rifle, but don't have the budget for a bespoke showpiece. I have to put so much more labor into some of the surplus stuff that it can be hard to match that pricepoint. Hopefully that makes sense.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin