Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Tear drop shaped Magna Porting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
cr500

I can't comment on the shape(s), but if you're contemplating porting, think Loooong and hard - IMO, the muzzle blast (unless it's a REALLY heavy recoil) outweighs the benefits.

What calibre are you shooting?

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I,m thinking of getting my light 300 weatherby magnaported to stop the muzzle rise. I might even get a spare 458 ported for the same reason. I didnt want a muzzle break or anything but I didnt think magnaporting made much difference to noise. I havent had anything magna ported before. Does it make much difference to the noise when outside, not under a tin roof? I have used several muzzle breaks and didnt want the noise associated with them.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Hopefully one of our guys is an audio engineer and can say for sure but I think the problem is that the ports are 90 degrees to the axis of the bore so up, down or sideways doesn't matter a whole lot; its all loud.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Learn to work with the muzzle rise, you will be thankful you did in the long run. I also have a 300 wby but I have been shooting it for so long now I do not notice, you just learn to compensate for it.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CR500, if you can stand beside the muzzle when the gun is fired, and not go deaf, you're either deaf already, or don't respect your hearing. That's roughly what you can expect from any porting. Over, under, sideways, down, it will hurt!

Think about this - if your rifle is loud as it is, most of the sound is going 'away' from you - ie, from the muzzle. Put slots, holes, whatever, in the side of the muzzle, a good proportion of that noise is now 'beside' you.

Believe me, unless you want to wear hearing protection in the field, DON'T get your barrel ported. Your mates will thank you for not getting it done!!

I've been shooting since I was knee high, spent a bit of time with the military, and currently shoot a 270. I also spent a few years on the road as a rock guitarist. As I type this, my ears are ringing... it's also hard to follow a conversation in a noisy room - great!! NOT!!

I'll leave it to the audio guys to explain the issues, but if the rifle recoils too much, get off the bench and shoot it in the field. If it still recoils too much, sell the rifle and get something more easily managed - don't fall for the 'wussy' shit!

I've hunted with a lot of people, and I'd rather hunt with a confident person using a 25/303 who knows what it will do, than someone with a 375 H&H who closes his eyes when he 'pulls' the trigger - surprise, surprise, I've watched it happen!!

Mate, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I get the feeling that the real issue is recoil? No shame in that!!

I can handle about 20 bench shots with a 270, and I also shoot 'service' using the same gun - I can assure you, I wear the thickest jacket I have when I'm doing that!! I don't give a shit what people think - it's my shoulder!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a picture recentley of tear drop or rain drop shaped Magna Ports in a rifle barrel. Does anyone know if it has any benifits or just cosmetic. Who does the magna porting in this new shape?

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
MUCH louder under tin or in the open. Almost as bad as a break but not quite.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rugeruser
I know the old bad hearing problem. I work in a noisy workshop and have already lost too much hearing ,so I want to keep whats left. Ive used other guns with normal muzzle breaks and yes they were bloody noisy. One gun I was thinking of getting magna ported is a 300 weatherby which I can honestly handle the recoil with no flinching ,I just wanted to reduce the muzzle rise ,but its not a real problem. The other is a 458 Lott and the only place where its recoil doesnt affect me at all is at the type writer
Same thing though, I can tolerate the recoil but would like to reduce the muzzle rise. I certainly dont want the noise of the gun to scare the shit out of me though ,so I will probably stick with the heavier barrel profile.