New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako TRG-S/M995?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Other than the barrel. What is the diffrence between a M995 in 308 and say one in 25-06? Are there any diffrences with the action?

Reason I'm asking is I'm looking for one in 308Win. Haven't seen many. However have seen some in other .473 head size from time to time.

I will rebarrel if I have to. So what is the diffrence.

Also can one in 300 Win Mag be converted to 338 Lapua? Or should I just try and find one already in 338 Lapua or 30-378?

Thank you. And if anyone has a lead on one for a good price please let me know.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, the 995 was only made in one action length. Yes, a .300 Win could be converted to a .338 Lapua. You would need a magazine for the Lapua. However, converting to a .338 RUM would be easier as it would require no bolt face alteration and the same magazine might work. Besides, the RUM has a similar case capacity and the RUM cases are more readily available.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else? I just found a book that said they were offered in 7-08 and 243 as well. Anyone out there handel one? Any diffrences that you noted?

Were they a very good quality or just so-so?

Thanks in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi: My friend has one in 7.21 Lazzeroni Firebird
(7mm)...shoots a 140 gr. bullet at 3720 fps,
a 150 gr. at 3610 fps & a 160 gr. at 3500 fps.
Excellent rifle & for sale with its dies,
ammo...

Best Regards,

Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Outlawsix: I can't help you in your search but I can tell you that the stock and trigger on the M995 are not the best. The stock/recoil lug system is very poor. The trigger is not fully adjustable. It is only adjustable for pull weight. I built a 338-378 long range rig on one with new barrel and stock and I am happy with it. I used it because of the big bolt face. For the cartridges you are talking you would be far better off starting out Remington 700 unless you have some special reasons for the M995. Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Retard your info does help. I was told that the M995 action is very smooth and fast. With a removable magazine system.

I'm looking to have the rifle basically rebuilt. New TRG-42/22 trigger, new barrel and A5 stock. A recoil lug will be added as part of the build. So basically I'm looking for an action mainly. Thant's why I'm looking for one at a decent price.

As odd as it sounds, been looking for one in my area to no avial. If it isn't stamped, Remington, Winchester, or Savage it's a scarce animal.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by outlawsix:
I was told that the M995 action is very smooth and fast. With a removable magazine system.

One of the smoothest, ever. Just lift the bolt (60 degrees), tilt the muzzle upward about 30 degrees, and the bolt will come sliding backward all on its own.

The recoil "lug" is a weak-appearing link, but has held up fine on my .375, .338, and 7mm STW (not that I shoot any of them all that much). But were I to rebuild one as custom, I'm sure I'd put a Remington 700-style washer lug between the action and the barrel.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Outlawsix: I didn't know that the TRG-42 trigger could be used on it. I had someone tell me that it wouldn't work and I never followed up on it. There is no doubt that the action is nice. My bolt has three large lugs on it and I think it is fine for the large boltface. I had never seen one in the smaller boltface so I don't know what they look like. Did you do and searches on gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com? If not search for TRG-S and see what comes up. That is how I found mine and got a real good price on it new. Like you I was just looking for a action. Good luck.