New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timney adjustment / slamfire
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just put a Timney on a Savage 111. Adjusted it quite light and did the prescribed safety tests. Went to the range shot about 25 rounds and had a slamfire when I closed my bolt. Thankfully I was at a range and by myself. I adjusted the trigger considerably heavier and kept shooting. I want the trigger to be light, which was the reason for purchasing the Timney in the first place. If I increase the sear engagement a bit, will this allow me to safely adjust the trigger to a light weight.

I also noticed some creep in the trigger which surprised me. Wasn't expecting that with all the good feedback I have heard on Timneys.

Advice is appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
To what weight of pull are you trying to adjust it?

While you re waiting for answers on this thread here at AR, you might find it interesting to visit this site:

www.theoutdoorwriter.com/shooting/r700_​trigger.htm - Cached

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Please define "quite light", and use a trigger pull gauge to do so. What do you want to do with this rifle with the "quite light" trigger?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3lbs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Timney in my Savage 111 270win and, though I don't own a trigger scale, I know it is 2# and possibly a little under and breaks like glass. Just read the adjustment instructions that came with the Timney and follow them and I am sure it can be set where you want.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Luckyducker describes to a tee my own experience with a Timney trigger only I fitted mine to my Mauser 404. Same as Dennis, no trigger scale but carefully followed the instructions and adjusted to a break like glass 2lb or near trigger. Never had an un-cock on closing the bolt or a slam fire.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like your sear engagement is to small

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
A 3# pull on a Timney is not a problem. You have something else going on. If you have not messed with the components and followed their written installation instructions, call Timney and speak with their technicians. Ask to send it back for inspection and testing.

Usually the problem described is related to the sear. After doing any trigger work or even installing any aftermarket trigger a simple test is to cock the rifle and then bounce the rifle off the floor, holding it vertically while bouncing the recoil pad with some force a number of times. If it fires you have done something wrong.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done all those things mentioned vigorously BEFORE I ever took it out to the range.

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Had a Timney on my Savage 210 which admittedly has a very heavy bolt throw. Regardless, it would slam fire if taken much below 3lbs. Having no interest in that I replaced it with a SAV-2. Couldn't be happier. In my opinion a far superior option all the way around.

JC