Find
Notify
Tools

Quarter Rib Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Got a copy of Mark Stratton's book ... is very, very interesting!

Looking at the section on quarter ribs I notice several that extend over the receiver ring. At least is on a bolt rifle. You can't see the bottom part of the action ... so one cannot tell if the barrel could be turned off of the action after the installation of the rib.

Leads to two questions for me:

1) Doesn't seem to make sense to me to extend a quarter rib over the receiver ring of a Mauser action as the barrel could not be removed from the action. True?

2) Does the presence of an attached quarter rib change the kind of wrench needed to remove a barrel? How does one hold the barrel when turning it off of the action?

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
That type of 1/4 rib must be held on with screws. There's no way to turn a barrel on with a quarter rib attached.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, you might want to rethink the second part of that answer, I've several barrels around here that have integral quarter ribs.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1818 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK ... question really should have been more clear ...

Do standard action/barrel wrenches allow the installation of barrels having quarter ribs that do not extend over the front ring of a Mauser action?

Thanks Guys!

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Do those ribs extend over the reciever? I thought that was what he was talking about.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
OK ... question really should have been more clear ...

Do standard action/barrel wrenches allow the installation of barrels having quarter ribs that do not extend over the front ring of a Mauser action?
Thanks Guys!

Action wrench yes, barrel vise maybe. The vise would have to use thicker bushing to allow you to mill a slot in it to go over the rib.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Off topic and I'll be the first one to admit no one asked for my opinion but this has been bothering me for a while. I've got a couple of rifles, in smaller calibers, with very expertly done one piece barrels and quarter ribs. That is, the quarter ribs are integral with the barrel metal, not added on. Everytimg I look at them I'm reminded of the saying about teats on a boar hog. Given that 95% of the shooters that I know don't use open sights EVER for hunting, the expense and look of quarter ribs and front sigths on a scoped rifle both just seem kind of dumb to me. In my case my eyes have gotten bad enough with age that I'd have to use the end of the barrel as a reference point and shoot it like a shotgun if I couldn't use a scope. It's kind of like carrying a bicycle tire pump on a modern car, the old ones used to have it to pump up the tires, so why not keep up the tradition? Like I said, just my opinion and needless to say, if someone admires quarter ribs, I certainly think they should have them along with the fins on their Cadillac. clap

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken I remember seeing a few rifles on Mark's website that had a quarter rib and custom front base (mock bridge) and it was all from one piece of metal. Unusual to say the least but some of Mark's stuff is very unique.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually Gat, I was thinkin' I'd try to build a quarter rib with two tops ... one being a rail to hold a holosight for jump shooting DG.

Is just in the thinkin' stage, but could prove to be interesting on a .458 AR. Would certainly not be a traditional approach to the problem of sights for a DGR Wink

Mike

--------------