THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boyd's or Elk Ridge for a Laminate stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please offer your personal experience with either of these. I have heard more good things about Boyd's and their JRS Laminate from the rag writers, but would appreciate anyones personal experience.

It would be used on a .375H&H.

I DO NOT CARE to hear about Richard's MicroSHFIT.

Thanks,
NorthGAAire.

Posts: 57 | Location: North Georgia Mtns | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Burke
posted Hide Post
I've got a jrs laminate on my custom mauser.this year was its first deer season,and i walked a lot with it.I'm very happy with it,and plan to order another one for my next project.Fit was very good,and after about 4 coats of tru-oil,it looks great as well.

Posts: 111 | Location: Western Ky | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
I have the Boyds JRS Pepper Laminate on my .375 H&H. I went with the Boyds after I ran into problems with Richards Micro. If I had it to do all over again I would give Acrabond a try.

I like the Boyds, although it is a bit heavier than I expected. The pepper laminate really looks nice with the stainless.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have finished two Boyds nutmeg laminates for friends and I found them to be excellent. I just wish they did inletting for left hand actions. Acrabond is a very good option if the "plywood" look of regular lamintaes is not your thing.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have 2 contender & 1 mauser laminated stock from boyds they are all well worth the comparative small price..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a select grade stock from Elk Ridge. Their web site ad says that there is no defect in this grade. The otherwise beautiful stock had a defect, that opened up into a massive defect with a little sanding. When I called and asked about it the nasty old woman dressed me down pretty good, saying that it was an 800 dollar exhibition grade stock and that I should be thrilled to have it. When I pointed out that ie was not usable unless I routed the forearm to about 3/4" depth and scabbed and scarfed in a piece of good wood, she really got ugly. don't expect Elk Ridge stocks to make good if they send you an exhibition grade stick of firewood.

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done both brands on custom mauser rifles. The Boyds was sanded finer and was less expensive from the factory with a minimal but pad. I ordered the Elk ridge with a decelorator pad cut to my length of pull but required alot more shaping and sanding to get the stock where I wanted it. Stock shape was a personal preference. When I order my next it will be from Boyds.

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
I have Boyds for my Savage 110. Its the JRS Thumbhole. Little heavier than I thought, but I think laminates are heavier(than regular wood)anyway. The only thing wrong with mine is that the distance from grip to trigger is longer than the factory stock, makes reaching the tigger a little difficult. Other than that its a pretty good bang for the buck....

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote