THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Looking for recommendation to rechamber single shot

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for recommendation to rechamber single shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
I am looking for a recommendation for gunsmith to rechamber a single shot rifle. Work should only require rechambering with a finish reamer and a modification of the extractor. Re-boring is not required.

I've already done this with another rifle and caliber. I sent the rifle off a year ago and I am still waiting for it to be completed. Admittedly, I also requested alteration of the lever. The gunsmith recieved the rifle in October, said he started rechambering it in March, and that he would begin working on the lever modification the 10th of March. I'm still waiting.

I don't want to go down that road again. So, I am looking for someone who can do quality work but won't take a year to do a rechambering. Any recommendations or endorsements?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure somebody somewhere has been unhappy but I've never seen a complaint about the quality of work from Champlins. They rechamber doubles for $450.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9870 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you explain what type lever work needs to be don and what type action; I may be interested.

Jim

Jkob60@msn.com

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Jefffive - Thanks, I hadn't even thought of Champlins for rechambering.

Jim - This rifle is a Winchester 1885, no lever work required.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What caliber is it and what caliber do you want? Makes a difference on whether I can do it or not (If I have the reamer).

Posts: 17186 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had work done by both Jim Kobe and DPCD during this calendar year. Jim's turnaround on fitting a barrel, and rescuing a very bubba'ed up OM 70 receiver (filled extra holes, made and fit double square bridge mauser bases, recut barrel threads on a remington barrel to fit the OM and rechambered an existing 450 RUM barrel)was less than two months.

DPCD fit a barrel blank to a Mauser 98 for me and chambered and headspaced it in 9,3x62. Again, about two months turnaround. He did the same thing for NPD345, and I picked them both up on the way home from a St Louis Cardinals game.

I can very highly recommend their work.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had Kobe do a lot of work. I just need to be sure I have the money on hand as he turns them around in a very quick manner.
I think dpcd would be a good guy also.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't worry about money - kobe takes first mortgages and contracts for deed Big Grin faint Whistling

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote