THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Comparison of Pre64 Win 70 to Left Hand Classic Sport Mod 70 ( New Haven) actions

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparison of Pre64 Win 70 to Left Hand Classic Sport Mod 70 ( New Haven) actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I love my Win 70 300H&H, However, as a Lefty, I want a slick LH bolt gun in 300 H&H. How does a Mod 70 CRF Classic LH action compare to the venerable Pre 64 action? Would fitting a mag length box/modifying the rails/feed ramp/locking lug seat be feasible to convert to 300H&H?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Up until 2004 the Model 70s were made in the Classic Safari Express configuration. As a lefty, I couldn't be happier with mine. It may be easier to find one of those than to convert a current generation to the longer cartridge.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of the New Haven lefties, two belted mags and a30-06. The first, a 375, had problems. Due to a very deep throat, the barrel had to be set back to get adequate accuracy. The safety eventually failed due to poor machining and had to be repaired at substantial cost. The extractor broke and was replaced with a forged after-market part. That locked up the action. Fortunately it occurred at the range.

The second magnum was a 375, too. I re-barreled it to 458 Lott. (The lefties were not available in 458 Win.) In the process the smith went through the rifle very carefully, so no probs. The '06 got the same treatment.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
But from a length standpoint; all the receivers are the same length so yes, a 375 will fit. No rails to modify as the feeding is controlled by the sheet metal box. No mods to the feed ramp needed.
Compared to Pre 64? Apples to oranges. Both are round.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
But from a length standpoint; all the receivers are the same length so yes, a 375 will fit. No rails to modify as the feeding is controlled by the sheet metal box. No mods to the feed ramp needed.
Compared to Pre 64? Apples to oranges. Both are round.

This is true to a point, bet there are differences between the actions. The length is the same, but actions built around the longer cartridges have differences. They must have a box that is longer internally (no spacer) and the bolt stop and ejector need to shorter. These are a must. Now, the longer magnum actions also have the rear bridge milled rearward to allow for more positive loading and ejection. In my experience, these shorter cartridge actions when fitted with the parts for the longer cartridges that do not have bridge modifications eject unacceptably.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote