New
Find
Notify
Tools

Testing trigger safety?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok you've adjusted your trigger on your Sako to a nice 2lb. How do you check it's safe?

How many bolt slams and what height of drop constitute safe?

This muzzle is below the top of my head when slung and I do NOT want it going off if I fall over.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Anyone who carries a slung rifle with the safety off should be taken out of the gene pool.
Take Care!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Ask SAKO!!

I recommend carrying it slung over your left shoulder with the butt up and to the rear, with the muzzle pointing at the ground in front of you. I call this the Jaeger carry. I use it exclusively, except when the terrain won't permit, such as when climbing a steep slope. It is also very fast to get the rifle up and into action by merely raising your left arm with your left hand just behind the forward sling swivel, rotating the piece as you raise it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost anything can go wrong. So if I say to slam bolt with the safety off three times and drop the rifle on it's butt with the safety on and then off and also to drop it and push the safety off sure enough someone will fall in such a way as the gun might go off.

If it's of great concern then you could carry the rifle with an empty chamber. We are taught to unload our guns when getting thru a fence in hunters safety class. At some point one must take extra precautions.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Anyone who carries a slung rifle with the safety off should be taken out of the gene pool.
Take Care!

I don't know what made you think that I do that?

FYI the sako safety blocks the trigger only. I don't know if it is possible but as the firing pin is not blocked there is the potential for the rifle to fire if the sear has too little engagement and is jarred.

I miss Jack Belk who would answer such questions with a wealth of knowledge.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I try to achieve a slam fire several dozen times before I'm satisfied. With the bolt cocked and the safety on, I'll also pull the trigger with significant force, release the trigger, and then disengage the safety to see if the firing pin releases.

My primary concerns are about what can possibly occur under extreme circumstances when the safety is engaged. I've used a 2 pound trigger since 1969, so I'm very used to it. Not even the use of gloves in cold weather affects my use of a light trigger. My safety is never off until I'm on target, and my trigger finger never enters the trigger guard until I'm ready for a bullet to exit the muzzle.

Most triggers can safely have their pull weight reduced to a more reasonable level without problems. Understand that some triggers, even from the same manufacturer, are more subject to safety concerns than others. That's why we go to extremes to make sure they're safe. It only takes one time for a bad trigger job to cause unintended property damage, or worse, injury or death.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, it seems I'm on the right wavelength.