New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help with Savage Ejector
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The ejector pin on my Scout rifle snapped and I have a new pin and spring, but can't get to it.

The bolt won't disassemble ( mine has the hex head bolt ) even under serious pressure, to the point where I am afraid to strip it. Tried it both in the cocked and uncocked position.

At first I tried to do it simply by driving out the retaining pin for the ejector, but the old ejector won't come out once the pin is removed. Let is sit with Kroil for a day or two, even applied a little head to the bolt head.

Nothing is budging.

Hope that I am missing something obvious to do...wouldn't be the first time in my life.

Any suggestions other than take it to a 'smith?

Thanks

Bob

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
What part snapped? Remove the retaining pin and tip the bolt on it's nose. If it doesn't come out then see if you can compress the spring and what's left of the ejector. Look at the hole and see if it is damaged. If it won't move, then perhaps a little Kroil might help it. Know when to stop and let a pro eyeball it before you cause irreversible damage to the hole.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would now appear that it is "frozen" in place. I've removed the retaining pin, previously soaked the ejector pin area in Kroil for a couple days, cleaned with brake cleaner, even applied some heat to the bolt head and it still won't budge.

The pin is recessed about 1/8" below the bolt face and it won't depress any when I push down hard with a punch.

I removed the bolt head, inverted it face down and placed a piece of wood over it, then wacked it a few times with a small hammer in hopes the inertia would drive it out. Still won't budge.

Think I'll order a new bolt head from Brownell's as I already have the pin and spring replacement on hand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call the nice folks at Sharp Shooters Supply. They're Savage experts and very nice about helping.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put the sucker on the drill press and managed to get the ejector pin out. The spring didn't come out and seems to be compressed somewhat, as the replacement pin doesn't offer enough "oomph" to do the job cleanly.

Got a tool at work that should get the spring out of that tiny hole just fine. Hope to be back in business tomorrow.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharpshooter supply is good, and you can also post a message about it at the Savage Shooters board, maybe find out why the thing did what it did-

http://savageshooters.baker-media.com/SavageForum/index.php

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote