Find
Notify
Tools

Any drilling gunsmiths?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
I'm thinking of getting my drilling tightened up as the action doesn't like to stay closed after firing, also needs a new lever return spring. It was grandads back in the 20's when he used to go to Canada to trap after the tobacco harvest was in. I stopped shooting it about 10 years ago when it got loose but now am thinking I should get it back to shooting condition. Anyone on the board that works on these or can recommend a reasonably priced gunsmith?

When he gave it to me in 1970 he told me he couldn't get the right ammunition after the war but 38-55's seemed to work in it ok. It's a 9.3x72, still can't figure out how he got those to shoot in it.
Thanks,

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A member here named Rackett visted a smith with his drilling. I will watch this thread and send him an email if he does not respond.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Briley there in Houston installed a new return spring on an O/U German shotgun and did very fine work. They may also work on a drilling such as you have.

http://www.briley.com/

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
browningguy Contact J.J. Perodeau, Gunmaker at Champlin Firearms in Enid Oklahoma. He is very good,He could build a Double rifle or a drilling from scratch. www.champlinarms.com

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Abe Chaber at Custom Craft in Danbury, CT is a good man for all things German, his specialty along with high end doubles. Recommneded by the German Gun collectors Association.

Also check the Drilling Hotline.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Lee Taylor of L & L Ent in Carson City (I think) do some work for me on my drillings. Was VERY happy with the work. Then he offered me twice what I paid for it when he found a buyer. I had no attachments to it and let him take it. Smokey

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote