New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Planning new project .375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Roland: I asked about the same question a while back. Last week D'Arcy Echols received by Mod 70 Classic action in 300WM. When he sends it back it will be 375H&H Legend. I get goose bumps just thinking about it. I had a lot of respect for what the others shared with me, but Allen Day was the most influencial. I'll post the project as it progresses. Gary T.

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'm also contemplating a 375H&H project. I've owned and used 2 Whitworth 375s, a pre-64 M70 and a ZKK-602. All were great rifles (I still own one Whitworth and the M70). One of my next projects will be an FN Deluxe (or a 1933 Oberndorf) in 375H&H with Sunny Hill drop box bottom metal and Turkish walnut done English style. I've decided a standard length action is sufficient and makes a handier, lighter, easier to use rifle. If I ever build a 404, it will likely be done similarly- standard length.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WaffenfabrikHein
posted Hide Post
Roland1,

Please Check for Private Message

karl@rifleactions.com

<allen day>
posted
Gary, if you'd like to get together and look at my Echols .375, you're more than welcome to come to our home, or else I'll come down your way on one of my semi-regular trips to Eugene.

You're going to end up with a fantastic, lifetime rifle!

AD

<allen day>
posted
MR, I agree that on a Mauser the straight bolt handle looks best, especially for a big-bore from .375 and up. It looks good on a Model 70 as well if done properly.

I'm convinced that one of the modern, high-quality Mauser actions such as the GM are better choices for a fine big bore than an older, pre-war commercial Mauser, and it's certainly a better option that reconstructing a military Mauser to big bore configuration.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Planning new project .375 H&H

Action: Granite mountain � Dakota 76 � Winchester M70 pre 64
Members of this board, which of these three actions would you choose.

Thank you,
Roland

<allen day>
posted
If I can work with the right riflesmith, the Model 70 (Classic or pre-64) is my action of choice for the .375 H&H cartridge, no question about it.

Winchester set THE standard for the .375 H&H -- a standard which has endured for the last sixty-plus years -- with the introduction of the pre-64 Model 70 in 1937. Some of the finest and most experienced professional hunters in the world -- from Alaska to Africa -- have built entire careers around the use of Model 70s in .375 H&H, and that standard has been one that I've adopted myself and have followed with my own .375 H&H rifles; for shots a elk here in Oregon; to 57" kudu in Zimbabwe; to point-blank, do-or-die shots at charging grizzly in British Columbia, the Model 70 platform has served me better than well -- superlative would be the right and proper word to describe how well the Model 70 action has served me in .375 H&H guise. Anything else would be better in theory only.......

Yes, you can buy a Granite Mountain action for the same .375 H&H use, but you'll be spending money that you don't really need to spend for no practical improvement whatsoever.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen: When talking about the Winchester "Classic," did it cross your mind a D'arcy Echols .375 H&H?

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Besides the action, I would like to see the project evolve as follow, barrel with integral quarter rib and three leaf folding express sights, front sling swivel and front sight ramp with hood, double square bridge. A custom bottom metal, straddle floor plate, release inside trigger guard, bolt knob with 5 checkered panels and checkered bolt stop, jeweled bolt and follower, a trap grip cap. Highly figured English walnut stock with ebony for end tip, 24 � 26 LPI classic point pattern checkering.
Talley QD mounts 30 mm. Finishing the metal with fine cold rust blue.

Roland, it sounds to me like you want to end up with a pre-war mauser sporter. If so, I'd start with a mauser.

If you go with a Winchester (which I consider a fine choice) don't try to double square-bridge it. You can have some custom mounts made that will achieve much the same effect though. It's all personal taste and preference, but square-bridges on an action with a swept bolt handle, rubs me the wrong way.

I've had a couple of safari-style rifles built much like you described, both on Winchester actions and assorted Mauser actions. For 375 HH and larger, I've come to prefer the Mausers.

Your final satisfaction with the rifle will depend much more on who builds it rahter than on whether you use a Winchester or a quality Mauser.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It's all personal taste and preference, but square-bridges on an action with a swept bolt handle, rubs me the wrong way.

I agree. You want an AHR Safari DGR built on a Granite Mountain long, double square bridged, modernized, straight bolt handled, Mauser Modele 1898.

Posts: 13483 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Planning new project .375 H&H

Action: Granite mountain � Dakota 76 � Winchester M70 pre 64
Members of this board, which of these three actions would you choose.

Thank you,
Roland

I am currently building a 375 on a 1909 Arg. Mine will be a very traditional safari rifle. I have a CZ 375 and I love the rifle but it is an ungainly beast compared to one built ona Mauser. Just be sure and find a good smith to do the work for you. Fortunately I can say that my rifle is being built by members of this forum who are top in their field. A lot of my decisions on this rifle were made because I listened to advice from them and other members. And I am very glad I listened. There is a wealth of knowledge here.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote