New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brno �Round top� cut for mounts Q
 Login/Join

<K9>
posted
I�ve been offered a Brno of the type that do not have integral bases (M/21??). It�s got the spoon handle and double set triggers. Unfortunetly it�s stock is in a pretty sad state (been glued and what else......).
The action is cut for, and still has, claw mount bases (no rings). The front base is installed in a dovetail in the front ring. Does this affect the strenght of the action? And if so; is there a way to fix it or is it non salvageable? Can someone help me out on this??

Cheers
K9

one of us
posted Hide Post
The front dovetail does not weaken the action for any factory chambering, (6.5, 7mm or 8mm). It should not be used for conversions to larger cartridges, as it has a small ring.

Fitting new rings to claw mounts can be very expensive.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
K9

Do you have any pictures. If the receiver is undrilled and untapped it is worth a try. If the claw mount is properly made it is very reliable and good.

How much are they asking for the gun? When is it made? What does the text on the side say? If the gun is cheap it can be worth a touch up and a new stock. I know a gun smith that can fix the scope mounting.

/ JOHAN

<K9>
posted
Kurt C
Maybe one could make a 9.3x62 out of it��.. We�ll see! A claw mount is always expensive but worth the cost (both in looks and performance).

Johan
Keep out!! Its mine! [Razz] [Razz] [Big Grin]
Well, unfortunately I don�t have any pics of the gun so all I have is a description over the phone (I have learned not to trust those..... [Mad] ). Maybe I�ll pay the owner a visit next week as I�m going north for a while. It�s supposed to be in bad shape externally (worn, stock cracked and glued etc) but the action is supposedly sound. He�s asking 1500:- for it (app. $180) and it is a 8x57 or 8x60. We'll see what happens......

Cheers
K9

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks have converted the little Brno's to 9.3x62, but I would be very cautious about using one that has a dovetail cut in the front receiver ring. You need all the metal possible in converting a small ring to 9.3x62.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
K9

No worries. I got my own sources for goodies that I won't tell [Razz]

I have to agree that some dealers are not very honnest when it comes to juding the condition of rifles and far to often one becomes pissed off for that reason. I would say a good price is a kick in the nuts and 800 sek [Razz] . The scope mount will cost a bit for fix up. Now, my advice is haggle hard [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I gotten a really nice brno m-21 action with the mail two days ago. It was bought for 500 sek including some other mauser stuff. Found annother ZG-47 stiff that I might sink my theeths in, next week [Big Grin]

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just have a set of Claw Rings fitted to the bases..About $200. or I dump it...I would not rebore it or rechamber it with the dovetail cut....

Most of the type of projects will cost you more than just buying a good one to start with.....Trust me, I been there a million times [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote