New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Glassing a Weatherby Mark V
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those that have followed my frustration with my .257 Weatherby you know that it has been a long road.

I am hoping to end that road shortly. I just aquired a brand new fibermark stock directly from Weatherby and want to make sure I do it up right. It has the pressure points in the front of the forearm...which I am not super keen on, but that is why I am here.

My intial thought is to glass bed the action and free float the barrel. Is this a good initial thought?

Second, I need to get some additional insight on what exactly to glass on a Mark V. I have done some research on glass bedding, and it seems that each type of action has it's own idiosyncracies. Should I bed the whole action, just the lug, just the lug and tang......?????

Additionally, I have been working the barrel over something awful. I just keep getting carbon out of that thing. This site has helped me immensly. I used to think my barrel was clean because the patches came out white, even though to the naked eye it looked like a corn cob.

Well, I went and got some M-Pro-7 and bronze brushes and have been steadily soaking with the solvent, scrubbing with the brush and then wet patching until clean and then starting over. Every time I do this my first patch is colored blackish/brown. It seems like it is never ending, but the barrel sure feels smoother to push a patch down, and it appears that I am knocking down some of the kernals. I hope this doesn't go on to long...it is getting old.

Thanks for all your help and ideas.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Pressure points when bedding are usually reserved for thin whippy barrels. Most rifles achieve best accuracy with full floated barrels, including the MkV Accumark.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote