Find
Notify
Tools

17AH to 17HH??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All,

I have a Winchester Low Wall chambered in 17 Ackley Hornet, I have a lot of fun with it but making brass for it is a serious pain.

Looking at the dimensions of the 17 Hornady Hornet I notice that the only real difference between it and the 17AH is the width of the shoulder, being just slightly larger.

My question is; would running a 17HH reamer into the 17AH chamber allow me to use the factory 17HH brass in my little Low Wall? Would the 17HH reamer clean up the 17AH chamber completely?

Thanks for any advice and or comments.
Marcos (elalto)

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at the dimensions of the 17 Hornady Hornet I notice that the only real difference between it and the 17AH is the width of the shoulder, being just slightly larger.

I don't load or own a .17, so please don't take this as conclusive, however: Looking at the case dimensions, the .17 Ackley looks to be slightly longer at the shoulder. This suggests to me that you would have to set the barrel back and rechamber to use the .17 Hornady. Or do I read it wrong?

Posts: 41 | Location: Canada | Registered: 24 June 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elalto:
Hi All,

I have a Winchester Low Wall chambered in 17 Ackley Hornet, I have a lot of fun with it but making brass for it is a serious pain.

Marcos (elalto)

You are doing something wrong, if you think it is a pain!

One push, load and shoot, it fire forms it's self with the first shot.

I am getting 5/8" groups with the fire forming load.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoreBS:
quote:
Hi All,

Marcos (elalto)

I believe he's referring to forming cases from the .22 Hornet. Can you even form them from the .17 Hornet? It's case is .050" shorter than the Ackley, and slightly larger at the shoulder.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkimer:
quote:
quote:
Hi All,

Marcos (elalto)

I believe he's referring to forming cases from the .22 Hornet. Can you even form them from the .17 Hornet? It's case is .050" shorter than the Ackley, and slightly larger at the shoulder.

Me too! Adjust the 17 AH FL die so that it locks up a little stiff. No lube, just size and expand. Trim to length if needed. They look a little funky, but shoot just fine. Shoot and form!

I use W/W 22 Hornet brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Herkimer:
quote:
quote:
Hi All,

Marcos (elalto)

Me too! Adjust the 17 AH FL die so that it locks up a little stiff. No lube, just size and expand. Trim to length if needed. They look a little funky, but shoot just fine. Shoot and form!

I use W/W 22 Hornet brass.

I see what you're saying, now. Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about fireforming .17 AH from .17 Hornaday.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi All,

My question is; would running a 17HH reamer into the 17AH chamber allow me to use the factory 17HH brass in my little Low Wall? Would the 17HH reamer clean up the 17AH chamber completely?

Marcos (elalto)

Send me a PM, and I will try to help you!

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
With a low wall, you should be able to just size and shoot new HH brass. The shoulder will fire form. Head spacing off the rim.

If accuracy is poor, try expanding the necks to say 20 cal., resize using the false shoulder to give a little lock-up resistance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned both 17AH and 17 HH. I don’t think the 17HH Will clean up a 17 AH chamber. I did not think making 17 AH was a pain at all. As someone above said, one pull on the press, load, fire form, and you’re good to go.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I’ve owned both 17AH and 17 HH. I don’t think the 17HH Will clean up a 17 AH chamber. I did not think making 17 AH was a pain at all. As someone above said, one pull on the press, load, fire form, and you’re good to go.

I agree completely! I use RCBS 17 AH dies and they work great.