New
Find
Notify
Tools

metal clear coat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have mounted a steel unfinished NECG rear sight , barrel band and front site on a factory Winchester stainless barrel. I don't like the looks of blued sights on the stainless, and would much prefer the natural steel color, which blends fairly well with the stainless finish of the barrel. Any suggestions what to use as a clear coat to keep the sights from rusting, or is this a dumb idea? I figured it beats Cerra-coating the whole thing.
thanks
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used thinned TruOil as a protective coating on case coloring, would probably work just as well for your application.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the '90s I put together a 270 on a 98 Mauser in a synthetic stock. I bead blasted the metal and coated it with a spray coating from Brownells called, Accra Coat or something like that. It was clear and a bake on finish. It held up surprisingly well, even on the moving parts like the bolt. It would be my choice for your project. I am sure you can find it if you look in the metal finishes of the Brownells catalog.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duracoat makes a satin clear coat and a glossy version. It should look great if airbrushed on. A cheaper alternative is automobile satin lacquer. I've had it on a gun for many years and it is still going strong.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I used spray lacquer on a steel 1911. Worked out well. The brand name was Permalac.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Electroless Nickel plating would be the end all solution. Nothing to wear off. Can lightly glass bead to match SS color.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote