New
Find
Notify
Tools

1891 Argentine Mauser - options?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an 1891 Modelo Argentino mauser that's been sporterized. It is chambered for the 7.65 Argentine (7.65x53mm) - a caliber that's not so generally available. This is important to note, because I don't reload.

I'd like to do something with it to make a fun to shoot rifle. The action is in very good shape, all the numbers match, and I've shot a few rounds of old surplus ammo - it's not bad. I wouldn't go hunting with it though since it's just FMJ stuff of dubious reliability.

What are my options? I don't really see a lot of people talking about rebarrelling/rechambering these rifles. I've heard that trying to rechamber for something that's high pressure would be a mistake - but I'm not sure where that leaves me.

Have you seen any rifles built off these? Could I do something like .300 Savage or even a .243 Win? Something bigger and slower, maybe?

Right now, it just sits - but I have a feeling it could be a fun plinker or backup hunting rifle.

Or should I just keep it as is?

Or should I sell it?

I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

Thanks!

bob

Posts: 26 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 300 Savage or 250 Savage would be perfect, but then you might have to start to reload.

Its not a bad hobby really, and is quite easy to get into and fun to do.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
SInce I am not a big fan of 91 Mausers and I am a big fan of the 7.65 cartiridge I would leave it alone and start reloading. Short of that pick up a Shotgun News you can still find ammo for the 7.65 if you look.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try graf&sons for ammo. the UPS man will drop it on your doorstep. If you have a friend that will reload for you, they also have brass.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I agree, load up those 7.65x53 cartridges. There are no flies on that old classic.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I agree. The 7.65 Arg is a great round. Although if you must you could rebarrel to either 257 Roberts or the grand old 7x75 Mauser.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would a .308 conversion be too much for the old gun to handle?

I know the 1891 isn't as robust as the later versions - so I'm concerned about it blowing up.

Thanks for all your input -

bob

Posts: 26 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not advisable to convert that action to a high pressure cartridge like the 308, 243, etc. What usually happens, is the bolt lug will "set back" into the reciever. Your best bets would be the 257 Roberts, 7X57, or 300 Savage.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the 260 Rem would also work. It's a pretty mild round.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

6.5x55 might also be an option.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady makes ammo, $19 a box

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaboom:
It's not advisable to convert that action to a high pressure cartridge like the 308, 243, etc. What usually happens, is the bolt lug will "set back" into the reciever. Your best bets would be the 257 Roberts, 7X57, or 300 Savage.

Cool. Thank you.

MajorCaliber - is the Hornady ammo you are talking about 7.65 argentine? That'd fix the problem for me. I just don't want to *have* to reload. I can probably get some reloads, but would prefer to be able to just buy ammo.

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.

bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Hornady ammo is in 7.65x53, but, I think Graf & sons is the only ones that carry that ammo.

Go to their website and check it out.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone has given you sound advice, all you need to do is to get into reloading and you can have all the ammo you will ever need. These old guns are very well made, just not as strong as a modern rifle. Leave it as is and feed it reloaded ammo. Lots of luck, bill439

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big worry for M1891s is their metalurgy. Those with serial numbers with A, B, C, D in them are of the "soft" variety, and not good candidates for shooting with any modern ammo. I watched a C series shoot loose on less than a box of Norma 7.65mm Argentine ammo. The higher numbers should be okay for moderate pressure loads, but what's wrong with the 7.65mm Arg??
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierra2:
A big worry for M1891s is their metalurgy. Those with serial numbers with A, B, C, D in them are of the "soft" variety, and not good candidates for shooting with any modern ammo. I watched a C series shoot loose on less than a box of Norma 7.65mm Argentine ammo. The higher numbers should be okay for moderate pressure loads, but what's wrong with the 7.65mm Arg??
LLS

Thanks.

There's nothing *wrong*, per se, other than availability.

I had thought I might turn the bolt down, add a scope, etc. and have a nice little sporter with minimal expense. I fear that, were I to do that, I might have enough into that project to just buy a new CZ in a caliber I want and have a stronger gun, though I wouldn't have the fun of fooling around with the changes. I just don't think I can realistically make the old Argie better than it is - an old military gun that's had some of its stock chopped off.

I think I might just buy some of that Hornady ammmo after checking the SN and plink around with the iron sights just for snicks.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

bob

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Here's my 1891, sporterized in the '50's with a little stock checkering and a peep sight, other than that it's original.

I handload and shoot a mild 180 gr. load at about 2300 fps using the Graf (Hornady) brass, it shoots consistantly under an inch off the bench.

My recommendation is just use the Hornady factory load and shoot it as is, they are fine rifles but just not up to modern high pressure loads.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
A 300 Savage or 250 Savage would be perfect, but then you might have to start to reload.

Its not a bad hobby really, and is quite easy to get into and fun to do.-Spencer

Use Norma or Graf's or Hornady 7.65X53mm softpoint ammo for hunting, and leave it in the present caliber. Factory ammo puts it right close to the .308 Winchester. If you have a good barrel, and do decide to reload, the 7.65X53mm round is a good one, and easy to reload for. That old action is not really worth the cost of a new barrel.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

Browninguy you might consider replacing that 1889 Belgian bolt sleve with the updated Argentine 1891 bolt sleeve which allowed smoother bolt travel when closeing the bolt by prevent any possible bolt sleeve rotation while working the bolt or when working the safety.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug, I'll look into that.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

Doesn't the .260 run at .308 pressures? The reference I have (unreliable) for the SAAMI pressures shows 62k psi for .308 and 60k psi for .308. The same reference shows only 45k psi for 6.5x55, which must be due to the larger case when compared to .260. Either that, or it's a misprint.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, you have a PM.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an old beater given to me, I barreled it to 45 ACP. Great fun with 300 grn cast bullets, plop ...... thud!

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote