THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why is Rem. 7400 less accurate than a BAR?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've seen many of them at the range, even owned a few myself,some shot good(1 1/2 or better) some didn't,but the BAR's are pretty consistant.Honestly have not seen a well cared for 7400 fail to feed ,fire or eject.
So what's the knock on them ? I just kept trading untill I got one that shot the way I liked, but is there any way to improve accuracy ? How about reloading for one ? I'm getting the itch to buy another, with a satin finish in .270. I already have a Bar but the Remington just seems to fit me better and is more pleasing to my eye.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know the answer to your question. Both of my BARs (30-06s by the way) are far more accurate than my old M742 was (also a 30-06). The BARs would easily and ALWAYS shoot better than 2 MOA with 165 grainers (actually one does better than MOA). The M742 was at it's best with IMR4831, 180 Rem Core Lokt, for groups around 2.5". It, the Remington that is, got real bad with 150 bullets and would print ~ 8" groups at 100 yards. OUCH! Typically, the old Remington would print in the 3" - 4" range.

With the 180 bullets the old Remington M742 was easily capable for hunting duties. I also never had a fail to eject with it as long as I kept is reasonably clean. Failures to feed were common for the first round (could only load 4 in the 5 round magazine), and you had a VERY difficult time getting an unfired round out of it as the ejection port was THAT small!

The BARs rarely fail to pick up the first round (actually I think one has done it once the other NEVER has) and the ALWAYS eject. Don't have problems with them even after not cleaning them for several hundred rounds.

BARs are the cat's meow in my book. I really love 'em, so I guess I may not be the most objective, but I have attempted to be objective on this post.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a weapon that has ever been made that you don't own, or have owned at some point?

You must have started buying guns before you got out of diapers...assuming you ever got out of them!

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look up the thread in Gunsmithing titled Blocking gas port on a semi automatic and it will give some info(probably back on the 4th or 5th page by now). Basically the 7400 is a rifle version of the model 1100 shotgun and the barrel is not screwed into the receiver. The BAR barrel is screwed into the receiver. Some of the new BAR's are offered with alloy receivers, synthetic stocks and shorter barrels to reduce weight and improve handling. The BAR has tighter tolerances than the 7400 and this may help the accuracy.
Ralph

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Not being a smartass but, the reason the BAR is more accurate is because it's a Browning. Ok, maybe I am a smartass, but it still sounds like a good answer to me. In my view it's a matter of the little things in fitting the rifle, most BAR's just look like they are put together better than the Remington. Although I do admit I get a warm fuzzy feeling shen I see a Remington in 35 Whelen.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ralph,

The 7400 must be way different then than the older M742, as the barrel of a 742 most definitely screwed into the reciever.

Rick,

I have NEVER owned a 7400! By the way, I left diapers a very long time ago.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a gunsmith I only see the "problem childs" , but I have just as many BARs come in the shop that won't shoot as 7400- now some of that is due to the fact the fellow who bought the BAR probably has higher expectations of his $800 investment over the fellow with the $399 special from K-mart. The #1 correction on either rifle that most of the time solves the problem is the CROWN. If function is a problem and the rifle is new I recommend returning the rifle for a replacement if possible, but 90% of the time if an autoloader doesn't feed it is the magazine, the other 10% is usually related to something that is "slowing" down the extraction/ejection process( read dirty chambers on the used rifles). This is only relating My experience and is limited to the BARs and 7400 rifles I see every fall about 2 weeks before deer season.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
742's are far and away the most accurate run of the mill auto's i've ever shot.
7400s are far beind, but the bolts tend to fail

i have seen a bar that will CONSISTANTLY shoot moa.

jeffe

Posts: 38594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the operational differences between a BAR, the M742, and the M7400?

Jeffeosso, the 742s I have known are only accurate with one load, that being typically, a 180 flat base bullet and a case full of IMR4831. With everything else they SUCK! Also, it is a REAL trick to eject a loaded cartridge out of one!! I'll stick with my BARs!!! Rock-n-Roll

ASS_CLOWN