THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding a stock, am I forgeting anything?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted
This weekend, I plan to bed my Mosin. I have purchased epoxy (JB Weld), damming clay, and brass hardware for pillers. I plan to use Turtle Wax as a release agent and masking tape wrapped around the barrel just foreward of the rear sight so that the bed ends with a hard line. This is so that I can use cork to give the handgaurd a clamp fit. I have seen evidence that this is conducive to accuracy in these rifles since there's no practical way to float the barrel in the original stock.

Am I forgeting anything and will the Turtle Wax and masking tape work as I intend them to?

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Best way to bed Mosin action is make it and magazine floating free and just bed the rear end of barrel with special block. Finnish army sniper rifle TAK 85 has been done that way and it is very accurate.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I only use floor paste was for release agent so that will be fine. JB weld is a bit too stiff for a good bed job, I think. I would get some acra glass gel from Brownells. Not regular acra glass which is too thin.
Yes your tape method will work.
Yes, the TKIV 85 bedding system is best but much harder to make as you have to make the bedding block and the action is floating. I have a TKIV 85 and it is very accurate.

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. I had chosen the JB Weld because I had heard good things about Devcon Plastic Steel but could not find any locally and they appeard to be similar.

Another question, I'm redoing the finish. If I use regular wood stain, should I top it off with anything or will it repel water well enough for the field? Maybe polyurethane?

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd have to respectfully disagree about the JB Weld being too stiff. At least I've never had that problem and have used a bunch of the stuff for near everything.
Bobby

Posts: 5 | Location: southwest Arkansas | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't use JB weld much but I recall it is ( I said I think, so I am not positive) too stiff for a good bedding job. Might work. Last I used was to patch a hole in a jeep gas tank. Stiff stuff. I prefer to use stuff developed specifically for stock bedding. Yes, you need to coat the wood with a good water repellant finish.

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would buy some acra glass from Brownells also

I wouldn't use JB weld

JB weld is ok for some things rifle bedding isn't one of them.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used several types of epoxy for bedding. As P dog said I wouldn't use JB Weld. Or some Acraglas gel from Brownells. They will get it to you in a couple of days. Would be cheaper than JB as well based on prices around here.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 1 on the Acraglas gel.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a lot of the "Benchrest" shooters around here only use JB weld for bedding.

Posts: 41903 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quite a lot of the "Benchrest" shooters around here only use JB weld for bedding

Are they using it to "BED" or to "GLUE" their action into the stock?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Marine Tex from Brownells for most glass bedding jobs, I also use Accraglass, both liquid and Gel, depending on the job...

A well kept secret is after you apply glass and before you seat the metal...make a few passes with a hot hair dryer, about 30 seconds is plenty or until you see the consistency change or take on a little shine, then seat your metal and you won't have any bubbles when the job is completed..May take a couple of trys but even then you will only have one or perhaps two very minor easily repaired bubbles.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Quite a lot of the "Benchrest" shooters around here only use JB weld for bedding.

No, they don't. At least not the ones that know what they are doing. Maybe some wannabes do, but not serious BR gunsmiths or those that actually know how to build a winning rifle.

Benchrest bedding is generally done in two steps. The first step is similar to a conventional bedding job. This step is completed with a bedding compound such as Devcon. Once the bedding compound has set up, the action is glued into the stock using an epoxy such as JB Weld.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
All I know is mine shoots good...

After having the action bedded, I threw my 12x load development scope on it to see what it could do. I will put the 1.5x5 back on for hunting.

Sierra 150grn Pro Hunters .311 H4350, CCI BR-2 primers

Loads were 53.0, 53.4, 53.8, 54.2, 54.6

53.0 grn load was 2.0 inches (not pictured)
54.6 grn load was 1.35 inches (not pictured)

53.4 to 54.2 was just awesome.

But even better excluding the flyer if you superimpose the groups, this rifle put 8 shots with three different charge weights into .78 inches

Not bad for 80 yr old milsurp.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10104 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Quite a lot of the "Benchrest" shooters around here only use JB weld for bedding

Are they using it to "BED" or to "GLUE" their action into the stock?

Bed.

Posts: 41903 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, they don't. At least not the ones that know what they are doing.

Really!!!! All the way from Australia you know what bench rest shooters in Texas are doing? I'll be damned. Must be clairvoyant or something.........

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

Really!!!! All the way from Australia you know what bench rest shooters in Texas are doing? I'll be damned. Must be clairvoyant or something.........

Yes, you are right. It must be clairvoyance.

I mean it couldn't be because I talk to US based world champions and gunsmiths of winning rifles on a regular basis. Or because I travel from Australia to compete at major US BR matches like the Firearms Industry Super Shoot. Or because I am personal friends with many US Hall of Fame BR shooters. Or because I have represented my country on the National team to a BR World Championships on 5 different occasions.

Nope, couldn't be any of those things informing my opinion on how winning BR equipment is made.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
I ended up doing the beddng with the J-B Weld and shimming the barrel with cork as origonally planned. Took the rifle out to the range today, intending to start load devolopment. Circumstances, however, prevented this, but I was able to put 5 shots from 3 different loads touching at 50 yards. Really shut up the nay-sayer in the next lane telling me that there is no such thing as an accurate Mosin.

Thanks for the advice everone!