THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jaeger detachable side mount question...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a good looking Jaeger detachable side scope mount coming, but it has 7/8" rings. my question is are there any decent 7/8" scopes to be had (could be vintage if it had to?), or does anyone know where to get a sifferent set of rings to fit the base?

Help!

Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts!

Posts: 130 | Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
A classic would be a Lyman Alaskan 2.5x. They were 7/8" tubes. If you watch ebay, they sell Jaeger and G&H mounts and you could probably pick up a set of 1" rings there.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I probably have a set of 1" rings somewhere. Give me some time to look for them.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I couldn't find any loose rings. I do have a complete rig that is still NIB, with 1" low rings. Has all mounting screws, pins and instructions. It fits small and large ring commercial mausers.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much $$$. Whats the screw spacing measurements for the base?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I had a Lyman Alaskan in a Jaeger sidemount on a Mod. 70 Super Grade in .375 H&H. It worked very well!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Base is shaped for Mauser commercial profile and has 3 holes, spaced 1-1/8" apart. Box is marked Model 21, 1 inch rings, A. I'll probably post it on E-Bay later tonight. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
KurtC,
Is your mount a single or double lever version?
Last I checked, NECG still was selling these but only complete sets.
Regards,
Jeff P

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jaeger only made a single lever. Griffin & Howe made an early single lever model, then switched to the double.

Shameless Plug

one of us
posted Hide Post
For a short while Leupold made some Alaskans in 2.5 and 4X. It was sometime in the late 80's I believe. They are 7/8", steel, and modern quality. Might be hard to find but better than an original.

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KurtC,
Jaeger made a double-lever sidemount that they referred to as their Magnum mount. I have two vintage Jaeger catalogs that show these as well. I believe that Nick Stroebel's Old Scopes and Mounts book also shows these but I haven't looked at one in a while. The magnum mounts are pretty hard to find these days.

Also meant to say in my earlier post that NECG is only selling the single-lever versions currently.
Hope this helps...
Jeff P

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote