New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kreiger barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like some comments from Kreiger owners.
Thanks,
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Love mine, easy break in, minimal fouling, and as accurate as I can shoot. I don't think you could go wrong with a Krieger barrel and a good 'smith.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,
Thanks for the reply. I just bought a used #5,SS,In .243 Win. It reportedly has 167 rounds through it. And the best 5 shot group was in the low 4's. Hopefully I can improve on that. Time will tell.
Dennis

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1/2" groups or less from my 7mmstw.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine in .223 is the easiest barrel to clean I have ever owned. Fouling is almost nonexistent.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't been fortunate to own one yet. I've just started competitive shooting. But from what all my colleagues tell me, Krieger is the absolute Rolls Royce as far as barrels go.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
I've used dozens of them. Never had one that didn't shoot. The only other barrels I'll use at this point are Lilja and PacNor. But I believe in the double cryo, in house aspect of the Kreiger barrels. It can't hurt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
.3 with the lighter bullets in my 6mmPPC. I think the Krieger is 1 in 14 twist. Bob

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied.
Stepchild

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Stepchild,

I have one an a 270 and on a wildcat 400 Tembo. And I agree with what the others said. I don't know if I like the accuracy (3/8" groups at 100 yds) or the ease of cleaning best! I have used about all the others except Lothar Walther and I like Krieger the best. Guess I really need to try a L-W just because they have such a sterling reputation--but they'll have to be very good to beat the Kriegers!

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
I see all positive responses here, but the truth is I backed out of the deal. It was a used barrel and I was a little apprehensive about it, so I bought a new Shilen instead.I'll try a Krieger one of these days. My cousin tells me that long range matches are pretty much ruled by Krieger and starting to show in benchrest. My decision wasn't based on brand, but new versus used, plus the fact that I own two Shilens that flat shoot.
Stepchild

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you look at the 1,000 yd benchrest shooters; the Krieger is their #1 choice. The concept of cut rifling made sense to me also. Get a benchrest quality gunsmith to do the blueprinting & chambering. Break it in as advised. One shot , clean, one shot, clean for the first ten. Then every other for the next ten, Then every three for the next 15. Don't let the copper get imbedded in the steel as is is "lapped" by the first 20 to 30 rounds. Once those pores close up or are buffed over; it will be like shooting through glass.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have one in the box; custom-contoured with muzzle brake tapered into the contour, fluted, 300/308 caliber, never used. Beautiful workmanship, they did exactly as I asked in the order. I posted about it a week or so back. Expensive (partially my doing, that), but worth it. Got it to me in 8 weeks. Happy Camper! [Smile]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger No. 1 chambered in 330 dakota and a 28 inch Kreiger Barrel. It will send 4 230 gr Fail Safes ino 3/4 of an inch at 200 yards. And that load works magic on every thing I ever shot with it. In a few days my M-70 winchester 300 WSM will be back from the smiths with a new 24 inch properly chambered Krieger barrel. If this barrel is like the other, I will be putting 180 gr. Noslers into 3/4 of an inch at 200 yards. You get what you are willing to pay for. Kreiger Barrels are tops. Next year, my smith is going to take a 270 Winchester, a Kreiger barrel, some tally mounts and rings and a 4x Leupold with a German # 1 Reticle, and chambered for the 9.3 x 62. A lodge pole Elk rifle to be sure.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well opinions are like...well you know, and everybody has one.

I have used barrels by several of the top makers and find no fault in any of them. My last couple were Douglas, they shoot better than I can. I have had 2 Lilja's, excellent pipes. I think if was interested in sheer accuracy, I'd try a Hart. But then again, if the winner of the big match used a barrel with my name on it, everybody would want one of them!!!

Krieger, Obermeyer, Hart, Lilja, Douglas, Pac-Nor, Shilen and a few more all make great barrels. Once in awhile, there will be a stinker in the bunch and the used barrel mentioned above was probably one of them. not fit for gilt-edge BR accuracy but probably a super sporter/varmint barrel.

I knew a man who once fished a 'scrap' barrel out of the dumpster at Douglas....it turned out half inch groups as a 257 Roberts. pretty good for junk, I'd say.

Most any custom barrel is at least twice as good as a factory barrel. go figure.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jumptrap,
I e-mailed the guy with the Kreiger barrel and he told me that it was good for about 1/2" groups,and that made me a little nervous.It might not have been the barrels fault at all. But I decided to go with new.
Speaking of Douglas, I just bought one in .243 Win. that is going to be rechambered to .243 Ackley. Anyway my cousins friend looked through it with a bore scope and commented that it is one of the best that he has looked at(no tooling marks). It's their Premium grade. It should be a shooter. I have another one on a Sako BR action .222 that thinks it's a Cooper.
Most people would be well satisfied with any of the barrels you mentioned.
Dennis

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Semel:
I have a Ruger No. 1 chambered in 330 dakota and a 28 inch Kreiger Barrel. It will send 4 230 gr Fail Safes ino 3/4 of an inch at 200 yards. And that load works magic on every thing I ever shot with it. In a few days my M-70 winchester 300 WSM will be back from the smiths with a new 24 inch properly chambered Krieger barrel. If this barrel is like the other, I will be putting 180 gr. Noslers into 3/4 of an inch at 200 yards. You get what you are willing to pay for. Kreiger Barrels are tops. Next year, my smith is going to take a 270 Winchester, a Kreiger barrel, some tally mounts and rings and a 4x Leupold with a German # 1 Reticle, and chambered for the 9.3 x 62. A lodge pole Elk rifle to be sure.

George, it sounds like your a happy camper.
Stepchild

one of us
posted Hide Post
Step: I've got a Kreiger on a Ruger action. It's chambered in .257 Imp. I love that thing, I never realized what a joy it is to shoot an "accurate" rifle. I still have more load development to do but so far I can easily get 3 shots into slightly less than 0.4". Sometimes I can get it down to about 0.3" It seems that when I shoot more than 3 shots, the groups begin to open up. It's gotta be me. Should learn to quit while I'm ahead. [Wink] I have nothing but praise for Kreiger. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Quite simply, my five best and most accurate hunting rifles wear Kreiger barrels. I'm not saying that there aren't other great custom barrels out there besides Kreiger, because I know there are, and I own a couple of them such as Hart and Half-Moon. But Kreiger will do, it'll surely do, and it's the preferred brand of the custom riflemakers I know and respect most.

AD