New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Action Sizes
 Login/Join

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Does anybody know the length and width (or I guess bolt face diameter) of Winchester, Ruger, and Remington?

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi mike. sorry this took so long, I had to find Otteson's books.

Rem bolt Dia. - .697" Mag length - 2.85"
Ruger bolt Dia. - .694" Mag length - 2.93"
Win bolt Dia. - .694" Mag length - 2.86"

I realise that bolt length is what you were looking for but it isn't in there. hope this helps. Oh, and the Ruger is the original 77, and the Win 70 is post 64, pre-CRF - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read an article that said the Model 70 short-action could feed a .300WSM loaded to slightly more than 3.0".

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Glen at Winchester, last week, because I have been considering building a 6.5x.284 on a short action (for hunting). I was looking for the longest short action I could find so that bullets might be seated out as long as possible. He told me that the short action clasic feartherweight will handle cartridges to 3.0".

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

I think the Model 70 short action is modified for the 300 WSM in a similar manner as the standard action is for the 375. I think the rear receiver ring is shortened, shorter bolt stop and ejector blade and longer magazine box.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Lots of speculation here with all the "I thinks." As for the M70 short action, there are NO changes necessary or done in the rings nor the ejector from a 308 cartridge length configuration. The lips of the magazine box are straight for the WSM and there is a different follower. If you want a bit more length, removal of the electric welded joint in the rear of the magazine yields a magazine OAL length of 3.08". The Remington short actions are 2.8 something" and the Ruger is in between the Remington and Winchester.

The Winchester short action M70 has the longest magazine box of the domestic short actions. I have one in 338 WSM on the M70 SS short action converted from a 308.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I have 2 stainless Win 70 SA's in my closet right now. One is a low serial (#55,XXX) 243 and one is a new 300 WSM. The 300 WSM dispenses with the magazine block and has an ejection port that is 1/4" longer than the "standard" Model 70 SA's.

Brad