THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What calibers for a Mauser 98 Kurtz action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello,

What calibres can I put in a Mauser 98 Kurtz action? I would like to build one up in 243 Winchester, but I've been told that the overall loaded length may be too long. If that's the case, I was thinking of going for the 250 Savage or ??? I would like to use it for a bit of varmint/deer hunting.

Are there any suggestions out there?

Thanks

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I'm with fla30-06. You couldn't ask for a classier combination.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
glad i don't have the choice.. i'd be torn from 250 sav, to 300 sav, to 7x200sav....

right this minute, a SUPER ultralight 250 sav

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were mine, .250 Savage.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never had a lot of problems with Mausers or M70's that had shorter cartridges in the magazines. Perhaps others have had such problems so I can't argue that but the Brno 21 h that I am shooting now is too long for the 7X57 or so it seems yet it functions fine.

As to the cartridge I never had much use for the .25 bore and still don't. Of course it's a rifle and goes bang but my experiance started with the 243 which put the .25's into a hibernation.

For a rifle on that action that's going to be light and effective on both varmints and bigger game I like the 260 Remington. The 95 gr. VMax in 6.5mm is very accurate and has a .365 coefficient for varmints. For bigger game the 260 trumps a 250 anyday.

If you get a 250 then specify a faster twist than the old 1-14.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote