THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sticky recoil pad, any tricks to help it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I've had my drilling shortened and a new butt bad adapted for it. Trouble is, the sides of the pad are rubbery and sticky where it has been sanded, and will grab my clothes on the way to the shoulder.

Are there any tricks out there to help with this? I know the tape around the side-trick, but would like something slightly better looking and permanent for my German, triple barreled haubitzer.

Posts: 116 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try silicon spray, it works on most pads.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or AmorAll.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a Limbsaver pad take it off and throw it in the trash. Buy a good pad and replace it.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, don't know what brand the pad is. What is so bad about limbsaver pad to make them worthless?

Armorall seems like a good idea.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got one of those limited edition recoil pads made for Playboy.
It's supposed to be used while nude.
Take your shirt off and see if it does not work.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure, pictures coming up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The early Limbsaver pads had a problem with the rubber compound not setting up properly and getting gummy when it got warm. The new ones the last few years are great.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
The early Limbsaver pads had a problem with the rubber compound not setting up properly and getting gummy when it got warm. The new ones the last few years are great.

Several years ago I installed one on my Remington 870 that got gummy while sitting in a closet, and it's still sticky.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Please le me suggest two things and then indulge in a little conjecture...

1. Google "Vulcanizing Rubber at Home".
2. Look up "Vulcanizing" at Wikipedia and read it all the way through.

I would guess as the pad is not something you like very well now, perhaps you could try vulcanizing its sides yourself. The worst you could do is render it useless...which it apparently already is for your purposes.

I AM NOT saying this will work out for you...but it might!

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I dented the right shotgun barrel while out hunting last week, so i am going through an existential crisis. Will look into vulcanizing when the gun gets back from the 'smith.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Had that happen to a few of my rifles. What pisses me off is the the fucking rubber in my safe carpet.

Would you use acetone to remove it or would that make it all go black?

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote