New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 H&H velocities
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In another thread here, various people praise the 300 H&H. I understand that this tends to be a very accurate caliber. My question: What do you typically get as top velocities in this caliber with 180 and 200 grain bullets. In a 300 Weatherby, using IMR 7828 or RL22 powder, I usually get 3200+ f.p.s with 180 grain bullets, and 3000+ with 200 grain ones. How far off from that are the velocities typically gotten from the 300 H&H?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
All of the .300 H&H rifles I've worked with have been pre-64 Model 70s with factory-original 26" barrels, and this has been limited to about a half-dozen specimens that I have actually chronographed. I'll state right up front that I really love this cartridge, and certain gunwriters (including the late Jack O'Connor) have been very unfair to it, have sold it short, and evidently have not properly worked with it in order to come up with an honest evaluation of its true capabilities. In reality, it's easy to load for, pleasant to shoot, inherently accurate, unfussy, feeds like a dream, and does indeed offer a significant improvement over the .30-06 -- certainly enough to justify owning and using in lieu of the '06. It's also a heck of a lot easier to shoot than the super-powerful .300s are, and I'll bet most guys (all posturing aside) would do better and more effective work with a .300 H&H than with a .300 RUM.

Anyhow, my average top speeds with 180 gr. handloads have been between 2950 and 3050 fps., and this with either IMR 4350 or IMR 4831 powder in Winchester cases with Federal 215 primers.

Average speed with 200 gr. loads (same powders, case make and primer, with the addition of H-4831) has been between 2800 and 2910 fps., and these were near-max loads.

On average, I have found the .300 H&H to be between 50 and 100 fps. shy of .300 Win. Mag. capability, and up to 200 fps. shy of .300 Weatherby capability.

Still plenty of cartridge, and I have found that once you've reached about 3000 fps. or better with 180 gr. bullets out of any sort of .300 magnum, you have arrived.

One of my ambitions is to get a really nice custom .300 H&H built to pair with my .375 H&H and take both rifles on a three or four-week safari to Tanzania, Zambia, or Ethiopia.

That would be my dream African battery!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
My velocities are right on par with Allen's. In both my 721 and 700 Classic, velocity for 180 grain Partitions is right at 3000 fps (just a couple of fps over to be exact). Both guns perform at almost identical velocity even though the 721 has 2 more inches of barrel. Haven't anything heavier than 180, but I was able to get 168 gr. Barnes XLC's up to 3150.

Regards,
Tom

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the 300 H&H will reach 3200 fps with normal pressures and 180 gr bullets. The cartridge is a pretty one but does not "feed" any better than an 06 for instance.

Nor do I feel that it's any more accurate than other belted magnums of similar power.

While I am not a 300 mag fan I have two of them and to be frank I like the 300 WM better.

I have seen some videos of Harry Selby, I think, extolling the virtues of the "Super 30" so I don't blame Allen for wanting to use one. There is a romance to it to be sure.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I was the one asking about the barrel length and velocities of the .300 H&H a few days ago. The information provided was helpful in making my decision.

I have purchased, at a great price, a new Winchester model 70 Classic 'Super Grade' in .300 W/M. As crazy as this may seem to many.....................
I am sending it off to Mark Stratton for him to put a 24" Octagon, Shilen S.S. Select Match barrel on it in .300 H&H. The stock is very fine and I will have our stock guy re-do the checkering with a nicer pattern. This kept me from buying a fully custom stock. The metal will receive a Robar finish and this rifle will give me a very classic look and caliber. It will be used mostly for deer sized game and for the same in Africa when we do just a plains game hunt. I wasn't looking for a real .30 cal 'hummer' in this rifle. I'll use 165's of deer sized and the 180's for the larger/tougher boys. North Forks of course. By the way, you can push the N.F bullets a little faster if you need to, just by their design.

I had 3 rifles sent to the shop for me to look at, just for the wood. I paid the return shipping and got a really nice stock.

I was looking for the Classic look, Classic action (not a Mauser, but close enough), and a Classic caliber. I think that this octagon barrel will really do the trick in the looks department!

Any more information on loads will be appreciated.

Pictures at 11:00.

Kwa heri,

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'll state right up front that I really love this cartridge, and certain gunwriters (including the late Jack O'Connor) have been very unfair to it, have sold it short, and evidently have not properly worked with it in order to come up with an honest evaluation of its true capabilities. In reality, it's easy to load for, pleasant to shoot, inherently accurate, unfussy, feeds like a dream, and does indeed offer a significant improvement over the .30-06 -- certainly enough to justify owning and using in lieu of the '06.

Judging by what has been posted here, it looks as if one can expect approximately 200 f.p.s. greater velocity from 180 and 200 gr. bullets in a .300 H&H than what can be gotten from a .30-06. The H&H will, of course, require a longer barrel and a greater powder charge, and it will produce more kick and blast. The .300 Weatherby will generally give you about 400 f.p.s. over what you can get from a .30-06, so the .300 H&H can be thought of as being about halfway between a .30-06 and a .300 Weatherby.

You can decide for yourself whether that is enough difference over the '06 to warrant the use of the H&H number.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned in the other .300 H&H thread, I use 65 grns of RL22 behind a 200 grn. partition. It gets around 2850 fps. out of a 25 inch barrel.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two I hunt with. One is a pre-64 standard and one is a pre-64 custom. 180 gr. Partitions at 3150 f/s and 200 gr. partitions at 3000 f/s. Very accurate and easy shooting.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a question for those with Pre 64 Standard 300 H&H's. I recently started shooting mine and I found it to have a very short throat. So short that I have to seat 180's and 200's deep into the case which takes up powder space. Unfortunately I'm at work and don't have actual cartridge overall length numbers in front of me. Has anyone else noticed this with an original Winchester? Mine is a '58 vintage.

Thanks,
Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote