Find
Notify
Tools

Report from Jack Belk
 Login/Join

<JBelk>
posted
-----REPORT----

As the more astute web watchers are aware, I've been absent several months and been VERY hard to get hold of.

Here's why.

In the early spring of 2003 I finished two major jobs. One was already paid for. The other was 'money due'. But there was no money. Call it bad business, bad luck, or whatever, but the customer is a friend and he couldn't pay the bill.

During that time a dozen or more smaller jobs were getting further behind because of my optimistic view of scheduling and the time wasted with a bad neck nearly all winter. Then some difficulty with bursitis that was only bearable if I walked…….couldn't pick up a coffee cup for a while.

I lost internet access due to non payment, but retained email storage. Then I lost the primary computer and had to go to a backup. It died and was resurrected more than a dozen cats but much was lost.

The "filing system" of jobs, parts, correspondence, and such was totally disrupted when I rented my house for a series of parties……..I moved everything into one locked room for security. Everything is STILL secure.

I don't drink except at special occasions and drugs was never my "thing". I hibernate when things go wrong. I've been hibernating. The further behind I got the more I wanted to forget the whole thing……the welder broke……….a job went wrong………a very good "real job" fell through at the last minute……

It became clear I either had to sell my house or lose it. Money was more than short, it wasn't existent. No long distance service, limited internet access and no wish to use either one.

I sold a very special place nearly 12 hours ahead of the gavel…..(that's REALLY stressful)….….and made more money than I've ever had before. I also negotiated a deal that gives me six months to clear out of the house and six more months for the shop equipment. The new folks are here in a camper in the yard sometimes, they pay the phone bill, since they're on it all the time anyhow, and I pay the electric.

The new owners will be remodeling soon. I don't look forward to that.

I'm trying to clear all the jobs I have now and not take any more of anything for a while.

I've tried for several hours to sort through the boxes and parts bins and parts of email logs to figure out exactly what I have that belongs to who and what still needs done. I don't have that much patience… I need help.

This would be VERY helpful.

Please email me at jbelk@magiclink.com with
<last name- PROJECT>
in the subject line. That way those mails will go into a new folder while I sort through nearly 50,000 back emails
Tell me what parts I have that belong to you and what parts or money was included to pay for what parts.

Tell me how long you're willing to wait for any work that still needs to be done, OR, where to return the project within 15 days. Your option.

There are some jobs here that are finished but lack a shipping box or maybe my understanding as to whether it IS finished or not. My memory is worse than my records……..and that's BAD. Jobs that had changes made by phone or changes in primary direction are in confusion that defies solitary solutions. Tell me what's yours.

Nobody will suffer a loss of anything but time but me.

For the loss of your time and trust and respect I'm truly sorry.

I can't blame any of what's happened on any thing but me. While I couldn't work I *could* still communicate, but didn't. That's the first REALLY bad thing an independent craftsman can do to kill his business. I've seen it with friends, I've helped customers through it with other 'smiths. Somehow it seemed different when it happened to me. But it wasn't.

Tell me what I owe. It's time to settle up.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you are back on your feet Jack.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn Glad to hear alls well. Hope to hear more and more often!

Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jack,
sorry for the troubles...
You have my support, Jack...
Do you need a junker PC?

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you are back!!

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack. If you want to move to Canada you can sure stay at my place. You aren't the first guy to pull the covers over your head in a storm. Mark

[ 11-04-2003, 06:36: Message edited by: 358Mark ]

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S3=A
Straight, square and Solid, equals Accuracy.

Mr. Belk. I have wondered myself what I would do in a spot such as yours. I am not in your shoes and do not care to be. I do think the thread concerning you should have dried up and blown away a long time back though. I waited for 3 years for a 'smith to complete a job for me and it was a painful process that I don't wish on anybody. That said,Patience is a precious commodity in these "instant gratification" times of microwaves and cell phones. You presence here was missed and that was probably the one thing that set off the frenzied pacing. I have been a forum owner for a few months and a few times too many the servers hosting my site have gone down,taking my site down also. Painful times I assure you. The point I am trying to make is this: You were absent without leave. There are few things that people can count on in these times and having a knowledge base such as yours missing from these pages was tough to bear.
You are welcome on my boards anytime. Thanks for sharing the information that you already have. It was a pleasure reading it and I wish you the best in the future. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the encouragment. I have a small business and at times it looks very black indeed. Your willingness to share your deepest feelings give us all hope that we can climb out too.
You don't owe me or have anything of mine but you just paid me big time. You will survive and prosper.
Thank you,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Glad to hear you're OK and are trying to get a handle on things. Best wishes.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Jack.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack

Good luck settling up with your business. Please let us know when you are relocated and ready to take on more work.

Roger

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,
I know it wasn't easy for you to make that post, thanks. It's been said that if a person has one foot in the past and the other in the future, he's probably pissin' on today. Just do what you gotta do, and things will work out, they usually always do. Best regards.
Craig

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad your back. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Missed your insight on gunsmithing.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack, hope everything works out for you. Can't imagine a tallented guy like you can make some money building guns.

[ 11-04-2003, 15:08: Message edited by: Major Caliber ]

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<dcan>
posted
Welcome back Jack had some similar type thinks myself.
I call this "going to the cave to sort life out".
Good luck let us know when you are back and ready for some work.
Hopefully after you have had a VACATION somewhere you want to go after the dust settles.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,
I just sent you an e-mail with the following subject line-

<Mayes-PROJECT>

That is the exact subject line with the < > and all.If you need me to re-send it without the < > I will do so.

Please answer my e-mail when you recive it or call me at the phone number included in the e-mail.

I am sorry to hear about your situation and I apoligize for giving a way for a bunch of punks to take pot shots at you.As you know I couldn't get in contact with you and was very concerned.I totaly,100% understand what you went through and there is certainly no hard feelings on this side now that I know what happened.We are all human and we all make wrong turns from time to time.

If the quality of the work on my rifles is as good as what others have claimed your work to be,you can be assured you will be reciving more work from me as soon as you get squared away in your new place.

Thank you for your time,
Brian Mayes.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Nice to see ya step up to the plate like that. I admire guys who can say they were wrong and have the nuts to make things right. I didn't used to care for you when you were all "checked-out" but I do now. I'm glad you're OK and getting back in the mix. Wish ya luck.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear your "voice" again Jack. Life is not always kind to us, and sometimes we don't help too much either. You are not the first, you won't be the last. Figure out a way to share your skills with the shooting world, your customers will support you!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Best wishes Jack.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What doesn't kill me makes me stronger! I don't know you Jack, you owe me nothing, but I've often been more knowledgable (sp?) from your writings. I've also had to hibernate, and it ain't a comfy feeling - wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, not even on my ex!! Good on you for coming out of the cave. Best wishes, Rugeruser.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
damn glad to see you're back jack! i've been in a hole or two myself and know how hard it is to make the turnaround and start climbing out. you have my(and apparently a lot of other's) support. please keep us informed about when you want to start taking more work. i have a growing list of projects for you. hang in there...it'll get better......bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

I was going to post this in the other thread but it is more appropraite here.

I received the action yesterday. It looks great and is rock solid. I can honestly say that despite the throubles we had over this you have proven to be an upright and honest person. I wish you well and am sure you will land on your feet.

Your post took guts. You owned no one but your customers an explanation. That which does not kill us makes us stronger AND smarter. I can also honestly say we have both learned a lot over this. As long as we both remember what we have learned we will become better people. I am sure things will work out in time.

I have another project that is currently 1 year overdo but I do get the occational update. He too has been dealing with health issues. As I said in the other thread ... my concern/fear was that there was no communication. You have addressed that. I have been burned in the past over guys dropping off the face of the earth. As the saying goes once burned ....

In every relation we enter into we bring the baggage from past relationships and experiences.

Thank you for your honesty and the outstanding workmanship.

Tom

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack, gald to hear from you. I hope that you can get the mess cleaned up. I've have miss your online smithing classes. Good luck.
Ray

[ 11-04-2003, 20:19: Message edited by: m1carbine ]

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Glad you are back. Lots of us understand "too much stuff to cope with and to hell with all of it for a while".

Sometimes it's the only thing to do.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,
Haven't heard back from you yet so I re-sent the e-mail without the < > in the subject line.

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, Jack. One thing I've learned in life is we are never as "alone" as we think we are. Most of us have been up and down like a YO-YO in our lives a time or two. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. And anyone who's been there sure knows how you feel...and communicating isn't first on a guy's list at times like this.

Unfortunately communicating is one of the fastest ways to get out of the sand trap.

Get better fast. You're too valuable to lose.

Jim

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Nice to have you back.

I really appreciate what Ive learned from the time youve taken to answer questions here and your willingness to share your knowledge.

Im about three hours away from the Twin Falls area and my weekends are free. If theres anything I can do to be of assistance feel free to E-mail me. I know how overwhelming moving can be and I have a few skills in that arena, but I have been lucky enough to not have to do it with bursitis.

Later, Byren

ByCher@Juno.com

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Back Mr. Belk [Big Grin] Shi_ happens [Smile]
GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Jack,

I didn't read all the thread about your 'disappearance' as I knew you had your reasons for not being here.

It is however very nice to have you back, to answer our questions.

Let us know when you can take in more work.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<WyomingSwede>
posted
If a mans wealth is his reputation then yours is secure.

Only one thing in life that we are in 100% control over...thats our attitude.

I like the tracks you leave.

swede

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Jack
Glad to hear you'r back on you feet.
God Bless
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those who are interested, Jack has posted again in a similar thread on HA. HA Thread

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, good luck and best wishes. Took a lot to make that post I bet, but that shows you are a stand-up guy!

Frank d

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen Jack [Wink]

What I'd give for someone to package and ship rifles for the return trip.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Glad things are improving for you. Its noce to see you here.
JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
<CuriousGB>
posted
Welcome Back. You were sorely missed. You post took balls. I admire you for it. You seem to be a truely honorable man.

George

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Jack. I agree with the previous poster -- this took balls and really shows that you are man of integrity.

I'm glad I made some posts sticking up for you here (and on the AH fora).

Mostly however, I'm glad to see you posting again so I can learn more from you. You see, I know that I don't know as much as you... [Smile]

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote