New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre - '64 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I believe the Pre '64 action was made in one length only and would like to know from the experts if this is a bad thing or not. I've often heard that 'short' calibers such as .243 win etc. are not suited the standard length action. Can someone kindly add to this? Many thanks

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is true the pre-64 was only made in one length, but shorter cartridges of the .308 Winchester family can be fitted with very little problem and having the extra magazine length can be a distinct advantage to the reloader.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullet seating depth?

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bullet seating depth?

That's one of the advantages. The Pre-64 with some modification was chambered in .22 Hornet all the up to .375 H&H (lengthwise). If you have one with an .06' boltface, a .243 is not a problem. Winchester just put a longer ejector, a long piece of metal on the left side of the extractor collar to shorten the stroke and put a spacer in the mag box to accomodate the shorter cartridge. I re-barrled an .06' National Match to .308 and never changed anything else on the action. It fed and function just as it did as an .06' only allowing me to seat 180-190 gr. bullets so as not to reduce the case capacity.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only M70 Ive seen was chambered in .300H&H and Im having trouble visualising it in .22Hornet. Thanks for the info.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i've got both the .22 hornet and .300 h&h..in a pre-64.... the bolt travel on the hornet is only about half the stroke....and the ejector is in the magazine well....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote