New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: quality check on a few items
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You have some pretty refined taste in accesories.
I would however rethink your barrel choice.
Although A&B barrels are supposed to be OK, you are talking about putting in lots of money on something that has a chance of not shooting that great.
If it were me and I was trying to be cost conscious I would take the bulk of my money and put it in a Shilen barrel and possibly a nicer commercial Mauser or one that has had the rough edges taken off.
Redfield bases and rings.
A Pachmayr 325 Pad (unless you need more cushion)
I would also skip the sights if you are going to put a scope on it.
Oh and you can save alot of money by investing in a Simmons 44MAG scope such as their Aetec.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I am putting the parts together for a 35 whelen project. I am making a list of what I have picked out and was wanting some feedback before I placed the order. Let me know what you think about the quality and price of these items.

Weaver Grand Slam bases $12.30
Warne Maxima Rings (tip-off) $49.95
Dave Talley Barrel Band Swivel Base $29.75
London Guns English Style Recoil Pad $38.00
Marble Contour Front Sight Ivory $11.50
Marble Dovetail Front Ramp $10.00
Marble Universal Rear sight $25.00

I am trying to put together a decent quality custom hunting rifle. I am shooting for that mid range in price. It will be based on a mil-surp large ring Mauser action with a Adams and Bennet barrel. Anyway and comments or suggestions are welcome.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The AB barrels have been slamed alot, but I think that they are in the douglas/shaw quality range

I'm not sure what that means but I've used Douglas a lot and am very happy with them.....If Abbott and Bennett is in that quality range I'd be considering them as excellent barrels.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies all. I think I am going to go with a different recoil pad. The description said red that was why it was my pick. It seemed more classic than black or brown. I'm kinda thinking a Pachmayr Decelerator Old English for $31.98.

The sights are going to stay. Sometimes a scope breaks, or so I've heard. Besides that I go on a self imposed open sights hunt atleast once a year and I don't want another rifle that I can't take. Can anyone tell me about the quality of the Marble sights?

It is more of an accident that I ended up with an A&B barrel than anything. I purchased it from an AR member sure enough worth the money. I was kind of wanting a 35 Whelen and stumbled across the barrel in the classifieds looking for a complete rifle. I think it will do.

I bought a classic styled stock that looked like it has some pretty decent figure, from the pictures, on Auction Arms. I don't know who made it but I didn't spend a whole lot on it so if it is a cull I won't feel bad if I have to put it my new fireplace this winter.

Are there anymore comments or suggestions? Thanks again.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
There is a Decelerator old english in Red (D752B). Midway has then listed. Only comes in med which worked fine for me. As to the A&B barrel I have used several they are ok for a basic hunting rifle. In my opinion they not close to the Douglas.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I thought I would run this back to the top for another round. Maybe I can get some feedback on the Marble sights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffesso, Douglas barrels are much better than anything else out there. Maybe you ment to compare AB and Shilien

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote