New
Find
Notify
Tools

long range shooter in 300ultra mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
need opinions on building a long range shooter in 300 ultra mag, i know there are probably better long range calibers but this is what i want to build, need a good smith, what barrel(twist for 200gr bullets, make etc.) already have the doner rifle model 700. any input will help

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the RUM will only give you maybe 50 yards over the '06 at best, if you really need to shoot at something that far away, you should have enough time to turn turrets and get a steady rest or you shouldn't be taking the shots, so you have to ask yourself is the RUM just an ego trip

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poulsbo,
I have a 300 RUM and I wasn't aware that I was on
a ego trip. I guess you are on a ego trip if you use anything other then a 30.06!
I have had very good results using either 200gr TXS or accubonds with Rel 25 (89.5gr) The recoil is stiff, takes some getting used to.The 300 RUM is a wonderful long range cartridge and you
will be amazed how accurate it can be !
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Poulsbo,

I have a 300 RUM as well and have never been happier with my choice of caliber. It is built on a 700 Action with a 28" Hart 1 in 10" twist sendero contour barrel, jewell trigger, and HS precision varmint stock. 190 Gr. Matchkings behind 89.5 Gr. of 4831SC and it will hold 3 shot groups around an inch to an inch and a quarter at 300 yards. The 1 in 10 twist is great for 150-220 Gr. bullets but Sierra reccomends a 1 in 9" for the 240 Gr. Matchkings.

As for the Ultra Mag caliber, I liked it so much that I have a 375 Ultra being built right now.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMJ888:
Poulsbo,

I have a 300 RUM as well and have never been happier with my choice of caliber. It is built on a 700 Action with a 28" Hart 1 in 10" twist sendero contour barrel, jewell trigger, and HS precision varmint stock. 190 Gr. Matchkings behind 89.5 Gr. of 4831SC and it will hold 3 shot groups around an inch to an inch and a quarter at 300 yards. The 1 in 10 twist is great for 150-220 Gr. bullets but Sierra reccomends a 1 in 9" for the 240 Gr. Matchkings.

As for the Ultra Mag caliber, I liked it so much that I have a 375 Ultra being built right now.

maybe I can off a little harsh, I think JM has the right idea with the caliber build it heavy with a long barrel,

I guess what gives me the stigma on the ultra is it seems like everytime I make it into the gun shop some green horn has just bought an ultra howitzer or 30-370 something and doesn't know a short mag from and ultra mag, If you know what you want and know what you are getting with the ultra, go for it

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Well said cowboy. It is a cartridge that fills a niche and has been a good choice for my intended purposes. The 06 would have worked, the 300 Winnie would have worked, but the Ultras just intrigue me.

Good luck with your project.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poulsbo:
need opinions on building a long range shooter in 300 ultra mag, I know there are probably better long range calibers but this is what I want to build, need a good smith, what barrel(twist for 200gr bullets, make etc.) already have the doner rifle model 700. any input will help

You say long range yet you seem to be picking a low BC bullet in your 200 Gr selection. I'm not understnding that when even the 250's BC is so much higher and the Ultra Mag has the HP to still give you very good velocities.

If it's for hunting I'd go 26" vs heavier contour 28" if it were a bench gun.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can play around with the 300rum and then rebarrel for a 375rum to take to Africa.The 300 rum is a super caribou round.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you do that? That's crazy.

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am doing it right now. Essentially you have a switch barrel rifle given that the bolt face diameter is the same and the mag is the same. The 375 cartridge is just a necked up version of the 300 RUM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
About the only thing I know about the 300RUM is that it is supposed to really eat away at the throat portion of the barrel, what with all that burning powder creating so much heat and pressure right there. I went with the 300WSM; it uses powder charges in the 60-65 grain range for my work with it and recoil in my rifle is not bad at all.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JMJ888 who built your ultra mag for you ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .300RUM PSS model. I like it a lot. It kicks pretty hard, because the recoil impulse is fast. I find it less pleasant to shoot from the bench than any of my .375H&H's, and about the same as my .470NE or my neighbor's .416.

I didn't notice recoil at all, though, hunting. It's a really accurate round with almost anything I run through the rifle.

I think it's a perfect long-range rifle caliber. To preclude the usual attempt at making this an argument: I concede that you don't NEED a very flat-shooting round like this to be successful shooting 400 yards and further, but it reduces the amount of scope knob turning or the number of mildots you have to offset by to make the shot. And it pushes big heavy bullets that buck the wind better at high speeds.

I'd call PacNor and have them rebarrel for you, but I'd use a Model 700 originally set up as a RUM. 1 in 10" twist is what I'd go with.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
JMJ888 who built your ultra mag for you ?

It was built by a local gunsmith here in Houston named Clifton Rue. He is a benchrest shooter that builds custom guns part time.

quote:
About the only thing I know about the 300RUM is that it is supposed to really eat away at the throat portion of the barrel, what with all that burning powder creating so much heat and pressure right there.

Surprisingly, when we pulled the barrel on my 300RUM there was very little throat erosion, if any. Maybe 1000 Rounds through it to date.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Poulsbo,

I have a "long range" 300 RUM that I love as well. It was built for me by John Lewis at Carolina Precision Rifles on a 700 action with a 28" Shilen barrel. This rifle will shoot consistant two-tenths inch groups with my 180 grain Ballistic Tips as well as Scirrocos. Partitions spread out the groups to maybe a half inch (three shots @ 100). It's preferred powder is RL-22 except when I used 200 grain Accubonds...had to go with RL-25. It did not seem to prefer the 200 grain Accubonds, but I wanted to try them on my last elk hunt. My longest kill was a lasered 719 yards on a nice whitetail (taken from a steady rest, no wind, etc). It will reach out and touch!

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Poulsbo,

My gun was built with the idea of having a dual purpose rifle that was an absolute tack driver in the off season, but was still a functional hunting rifle. Having an accurate hunting rifle provided the ability to take fair and humane long range shots on game animals, rather than just throwing lead. The 28" barrel made it a little heavier, but still manageable. I really don't think much would be lost with a 26" tube.

As for gunsmiths, I would shop around. Benchrest.com has a list of gunsmiths which would be a good place to start. My suggestion would be to go hang around the gun range a few times and talk to as many people about their custom guns as you can. See who they like, who they don't like, and why. If a gunsmith is a hack then you will see a popular theme in your responses. The best advice I can offer is that when you do choose a gunsmith, leave him ample time to work. A custom gun is in essence a work of art, and true craftmanship is a skill that takes time. Your gunsmith will appreciate it, and you will appreciate the results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poulsbo:
need opinions on building a long range shooter in 300 ultra mag, i know there are probably better long range calibers but this is what i want to build, need a good smith, what barrel(twist for 200gr bullets, make etc.) already have the doner rifle model 700. any input will help

Poulsba,

I have a rem 700 PSS .300 RUM as well, I have a canjar trigger fitted, Badger 20moa base and badger rings with leupold MK4 6.5-20x50 mil dot scope, I love the rig and it really hits hard.

I am working up a load with 200 gr accubonds...................had tried the 150 gr nost bt's and there like a laser out to 500 yards.

One day I would like to add a hart barrel and McMillan A5

Good Luck and have fun !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote