Find
Notify
Tools

Need "action" input please
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Does anyone have any experience or words of advice regarding the quality of the Stiller Predator actions?

This is a 700 style action. When comparing it to others, like BAT, Surgeon, Borden, etc., it seems to be most reasonably priced at $750.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Everything that I've seen says that Jerry has some real winners with the Predator and TAC actions. The guys on the Calguns board are trying to put together a group buy for them right now.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have not shot the Predator. I did put many a round through one of his Viper actions. Never gave me any trouble.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Everything that I've seen says that Jerry has some real winners with the Predator and TAC actions. The guys on the Calguns board are trying to put together a group buy for them right now.

Calguns board? I need to get in on this. Is this an AR forum?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I consider the Predator action the best, for the money, action out there. All the trueing work, that is usually required on a Rem, is already done. Then there is the added bonus of a PTG bolt, long ejection port and pinned lug.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
I consider the Predator action the best, for the money, action out there. All the trueing work, that is usually required on a Rem, is already done. Then there is the added bonus of a PTG bolt, long ejection port and pinned lug.

Eddie, how would you compare this action to the Jim Borden Alpine/Timberline? How beneficial are the patented "Borden Bumps?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
The Predator is a hunting receiver. I believe that Jim's receiver with the bumps is his competition receiver. I don't believe that the bumps would help the hunting receiver 1 bit. I have a Predator in 300RSAUM and it is an excellent receiver. Not taking anything away from Jim at all, the Borden receivers are very good.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe that Jim's receiver with the bumps is his competition receiver

Butch the Rimrock action has the bumps. Jim's sight lists it as available as a repeater. Had a shooting buddy that used a Rimrock I had a Viper. I didn't see that the bumbs gained him anything. In a hunting rifle they might cause issues with dirt.

Looking at $750 for the predator and $1100 for the Rimrock repeater there is no question in my mind I'd go predator and not look back..

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected Paul.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stand corrected

No reason to stand corrected. Smiler You were correct it is the competiton action that has the bumps he just happens to make it in a repeater as well. If I hadn't looked at Jim's site when Doc first asked the question I would have bet like you the Rimrock didn't come as a repeater. He also makes several other actions without the bumps.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I know I read here:
http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html

quote:
Stiller's less-expensive line of Predator and Tac actions have proven exceptionally popular, and they offer great value for the money.

The affordable $750.00 stainless Predator action is a drop-in replacement for the Remington 700. It is either single-shot or magazine fed. Long and short actions are available with .223, .308 or Magnum boltfaces. The top is full round and uses two front bases rather then the stepped down one on the rear of a Remington. This allows for better scope alignment. The magazine-fed actions use a 0.150" extended cutout to allow for longer cartridges and H-S Precision or Wyatt boxes. The port has been opened a little for the same reasons. The bolt is a little looser than benchrest actions to avoid problems with grit and particles. It has 0.004" clearance, much less than a Remington, but a little more than with BR actions. Jerry Stiller says: "If you are going out to buy a Remington donor rifle, STOP, give us a call. The Predator may cost less by the time that Rem action is trued and blue-printed."

Personally, I would not put a hard recoiling cartridge in a round bottom receiver. I don't like the Rem 700 weak bolt handle, weak extractor, loose recoil lug, or iffy trigger safety.
What does it all mean?
I like 98 Mausers and Ruger #1s, but I admit that Rem700s are the fast track to cheap accuracy.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Calguns board? I need to get in on this. Is this an AR forum?

Doc,

www.calguns.com is a different internet board for people in California. It's main focus is on the California shooting community with specific issues of fighting our insane State gun laws.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I don't like the Rem 700 weak bolt handle, weak extractor, loose recoil lug, or iffy trigger safety.

Hmmmm. I've been shooting Remingtons for over 20 years and I've never felt or realized anything weak about them, nor anything loose. My 300 RUM shoots just fine.

Do these aftermarket 700 clone actions have all of the same weaknesses or are you specifically referring to Rem only?

Just guessing but maybe you didn't read the info on the Predator cautiously as they come with Sako style extractors.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I don't like the Rem 700 weak bolt handle, weak extractor, loose recoil lug, or iffy trigger safety.

Hmmmm. I've been shooting Remingtons for over 20 years and I've never felt or realized anything weak about them, nor anything loose. My 300 RUM shoots just fine.

Do these aftermarket 700 clone actions have all of the same weaknesses or are you specifically referring to Rem only?

Just guessing but maybe you didn't read the info on the Predator cautiously as they come with Sako style extractors.

Doc, why ruin predjudice with facts?

Frank

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

Doc, why ruin predjudice with facts?

Well, uhhhh, I just don't know. I have been rather surprised by 2 things since I began reading internet hunting and loading forums, which, I did long before signing on as a member.

Surprise 1 was that btips are good for paper only. Yet the vast majority of my rifle kills in more than 5 states was with them.

Surprise 2 was that Remington 700s are inferior products yet I've had nothing but success with them.

Seems like I was taught in physics a long long time ago that a hollow metal tube, like a round action, was a very strong material based on the laws of physics. Am I wrong? Seems to me that this would be a top choice for strength. Confused