THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old (1937) M70 Actions, good for customs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Think I remember reading that the very early M70's (pre WWII) are not the best for custom guns, that the later, but still pre-64, guns had some improvements that make them more desirable. True?

There's a very early gun, 1937 first year for sale near me that's had the rear ring D&T'd so it has no collector value, thinking of parting it out for the action if it's worth it.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, How much ? $200?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what the stock & barrel bring, probably wants $600 for the whole rig.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have an 06 custom on an early Mdl 70. Only real disadvantage is the safety is on the left side of the cocking piece and works backward more or less. Slightly awkward to reach but has not stopped me from using it in Africa as one of my favorites. I know of no other disadvantages to them. I like it much better than the trasition with the little skinny safety lever. You used to be able to get what was called a 'Tilden' safety for them that moved the safety to the other side but don't think they are available any more. Have never tried it but think a later model cocking piece would exchange with little effort.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Wisner has a retrofit to convert the safety..pre war M-70's are VERY desireable

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I cannot find the safety currently listed at Wisners. I thought he still had some in stock.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote