THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

McMillan stock bedding-float before or after?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have recieved my trued action with a Shilen select match barrel and also have a McMillal Lazzeroni thumbhole stock for it.

Now, the action and barrel seem to sit a bit high in the stock, although the cutouts for the ejector port line up properly. The stock was inletted by McMillan for that particular barrel contour, #5.

I am not sure if I should bed the action as it sits, then float the barrel, or hog out the barrel channel before bedding the action?

Another thing about this stock it that the trigger seems to sit a lot further forward than it did in the factory stock, and further forward than in any other rifle I have, making it a bit of a stretch from the thumbhole to reach the trigger. Does anyone else have a stock like this and have the same problem?

Thanks.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bump.

It's a simple question. I think I'll go ahead and bed it first, then flaot the barrel anyway.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I thought maybe someone would jump in here before me. If you bed first and float later, you run the risk of putting stresses on the action. It should be floated first and then bedded with the barrel floated. Do not put undue pressure on the action by tightening the guard screws too much.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point.

Why didn't i think of it that way?

Thanks.