New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info Needed.....foremost 6500 mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a 300winny action and the bbl says foremost 6500...made in england. it also has the floorplate release dead center of the floorplate (push button style). Its a commercial action and in decent shape. it needs a good cleaning but no pitting.

The stock is junk and the bbl is iffy but I picked it up for the action anyway.

Anybody know who made the actions for these?

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Foremost was a house brand name of JC Penney
and 6500 would have been the model number. It unfortunately is not listed in this reference:

http://proofhouse.com/cm/house_brand.htm

Can you post a pic? With "Made in England" it may be a Parker Hale.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres a few pics. From what little I can find, I've read P-H, santa barbera, and FN as possible makers. I doubt its a FN.

Only marking on the action is the serial #.

Thanks

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTT

A lesson in irony

one of us
posted Hide Post
The receiver and bolt are ringers for a Santa Barbera Mauser as pictured in "Bolt Action Rifles", de Haas. The scallop in the bolt handle is identical. The bottom metal and trigger assembly are different. This source lists Parker Hale as a customer. There appear to be British proofs on the barrel. Mr. de Haas notes that a letter prefix and the word SPAIN may be stamped on the receiver tang.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks bobster, I appreciate the info. No stamping on the tang. I had a S-B before and seen where they had stamped the mark.

I did find an exploding bomb mark on the right side of the front ring and "228" on the lug after I cleaned it up.

The trigger is an oddball, atleast I have never seen this style.

Thanks again

A lesson in irony

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joel,
I have the exact same B/A with the same bolt handle and trigger guard(alloy, not steel) and mine is marked on the barrel underside "Golden Stae Arms, Pasadena,Calif. Serial # stamping is different but has a British proof on the bbl. It has a short arc right side wing safety and a single stage military trigger. Got it new from Sarco in NJ back in the 60's and its very accurate as a .280 Rem.
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I dont have those markings but it fits this one to a T.

You wouldnt happen to know who made the action would you?

Thanks

A lesson in irony

one of us
posted Hide Post
I figure it's a Santa Barbara action as described by De Haas. He has a couple different companies using this and not all of them were marked "Spain".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joel/AK:
Bob, I dont have those markings but it fits this one to a T.

You wouldnt happen to know who made the action would you?

Thanks

My reference speculates that the actions were made by the Spanish Armory at La Coruna, Spain.
There have been concerns leveled in the past that some of these actions may have poor heat treatment. I cannot confirm if these concerns are based on any fact. This might be something to check before investing a lot of money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bobster about the heat treating issues. J Belk who use to post here mentioned that there were actions that were purple in color that were too soft or improperly heat treated. Also there was an article in Rifle magazine in the 70's or 80's by someone who worked for Golden State Arms that also touched on the fact of improper heat treating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it has to be re-heat treated, that doesnt bother me. its still cheaper than converting a standard M98 to magnum.

Also I dont know if it makes a differance but it is a C ring.

Thanks guys

A lesson in irony