Find
Notify
Tools

Storing a Browning Superposed O/U Shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen:

I was recently given a 1972-manufactured superposed over/under. It's in excellent condition and I want to keep it that way. I have no intention s to hunt with it or even take it to the club to shoot targets. What's the consensus on the best way to store a nice shotgun like this?

Thank You,

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LA7mm:
Gentlemen:

I was recently given a 1972-manufactured superposed over/under. It's in excellent condition and I want to keep it that way. I have no intention s to hunt with it or even take it to the club to shoot targets. What's the consensus on the best way to store a nice shotgun like this?

Thank You,

Behind glass. Where you can look at it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, I disagree. The best way would be to use it. I could do that, send it to me.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LA7mm:
I have no intention s to hunt with it or even take it to the club to shoot targets.

That's a shame, for whatever reason. But if you're hell bent on storing it away, I'd do it like this.

1. Clean it very thoroughly, wood and metal.

2. Treat the wood with furniture polish. I use Old Craftman's brand lemon oil with bees wax.

3. Treat all metal surfaces with Break Free's Collector long term storage preservative. They say it's good for 5 years. Stored in a humidity controlled safe, I don't see why it wouldn't be longer.

4. Release the trigger springs on a couple Snap Caps.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really are serious, remove the wood and coat in a funiture polish as stated above.
With the metal, coat all the metal, inside and out, with Cosmoline. Some military rifles have been stored in Cosmoline for over 60 years and when cleaned look as good as new. Make sure all moisture and oil is removed before you use the Cosmoline.
Even though it is none of my business, and I am sure others have the same question, but why would you not want to take such a fine example of workmanship and use it for what it was originally intended for?

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I store my rifles and shotguns muzzle down. Oil eventually creeps into the wood if you don't.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good advice and the good-natured ribbing! I guess my reason for not wanting to shoot is simply that I don't want anything to happen to it.... whether it's an accidental nick while sitting in the rack at the gun club or me tripping in the woods while hunting grouse.

It's a pretty rare model, 20ga, 26" barrels with a straight English stock and Schnable fore end...

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a light coating of RIG then wrap in VIP [vapour inhibiting paper].I'd use it also, you only live once !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease). If you can't find it easily go to an outboard motor dealership and get a tube of their "high pressure grease", it's made to be water proof and forms a strong shield over the metal.

The tip about storing it muzzle down is a good one. Rest the muzzles on a small piece of plastic so no moisture will be available to cause rusting.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
About twenty two years ago I bought a bunch of Dalys. I only have shot a couple of them. The rest have been safe guns since. About once every five-ten years or so I get them out and wipe 'em down with decent oil and they have stayed fine with that. I have switched over to Eezox recently and I like that better after seeing the results in damp conditions and rust prone steel.

For my money, Eezox is better and easier to live with. It does smell funky though

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The absolute best way to store that shotgun and guarantee you are not responsible for even one nick: Store it in my gun safe. Big Grin

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LA7mm:
Gentlemen:

I was recently given a 1972-manufactured superposed over/under. [QUOTE]

I'd shoot and hunt it. Enjoy its values, while you can. Leave it to your heirs as a gently used, well cared for relic. They will likely use it and enjoy it, rather than put it in an auction. Your legacy will be ensured.

Who better to use this fine shotgun than you?

Sorry, just trying to change your mind.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote