THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

have you used benelli comfortech stocks?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
wondering if the comfortech stock actually helps in the real world, i.e. target shooting, plinkiing, and hunting. opinions from those who have any experince with them would be greatly appreciated

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I had a Super Sport (12 ga) with the Comfort Tech stock. Hard for me to quantify how much it helped as I never shot that gun stocked with anything else to compare to.

It felt good in my hands and seemed to shoot comfortably. While not recoil free the felt recoil was certainly moderated.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I'm not really a bird hunter but a friend of mine guides in Alberta and that's all they use. But full disclosure they are also sponsored by Benelli. Listening to him talk he says he likes Benelli's, sponsor or not. They shoots thousands of rounds each year through them and says they far outlast most other brands.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 gauge Benelli M2 (black) that Has been used for fifteen years now. The comfort tech stock is amazing. I can (could) blast ducks all day without discomfort (I live very close to the Idaho/Oregon border.) This year I replaced the comfort tech inserts, AH.....

In the new year, I hope to buy Lois a 20 gauge Benelli M2, again, with a comfort tech stock.

Hope this helps a bit.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
I'm not really a bird hunter but a friend of mine guides in Alberta and that's all they use. But full disclosure they are also sponsored by Benelli. Listening to him talk he says he likes Benelli's, sponsor or not. They shoots thousands of rounds each year through them and says they far outlast most other brands.

If that were true then Benelli would rule the sporting clays semi-auto market. I’ve found gas operated Beretta autos to be more reliable and have less felt recoil in comparison to inertia operated Benellis.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of it comes down to individual preference. I had a supremely reliable Beretta 390 that would go 1,500 rounds without cleaning, and without a hiccup. Then I foolishly gave to my youngest son, and bought a 391. What a horror show to clean, and the gas piston broke in the middle of a hot and heavy dove shoot. I replaced it with an aftermarket part, but that afternoon, I bought my first Benelli, a 20-gauge Montefeltro. Never a hiccup, and many times I have five shells loaded for hunting California Valley quail in southwest Idaho/southeast Oregon.
Later I got a 12 gauge Montefeltro, again, never a hiccup.Eventually I picked up a black M2 as I stated above. My personal experience only is that it has been supremely reliable, and it has been my go to duck/long range pheasant/decoying geese gun par excellance. I have used a Beretta 400 in 20 gauge, and it is very light, and very soft shooting. I asked Lois what she wanted in the way of a new shotgun, and she chose a 20-gauge M2. Are they over priced? You betcha. Do some people have reliability issues? Yes. Lois just loves the way the Benellis swing for her, as do I. When I lived back in Illinois, an awful lot of the guides used Super Black Eagles. I personally prefer 10 gauges for pass shooting at geese, and of course, a gun like that works wonderfully on decoying geese as well.
I like the simplicity, and durability of my Benellis. The Berettas are softer shooting, and can be made to fit me very well. Both guns have similar cast and pitch shims. One issue for Lois is that she can get a high anti-vibration cheek piece for her M2. That will fit her higher cheek bones. Her alternative would have to be a $600.00 stock from Wenigs on a Beretta.

Are the Berettas softer shooting? Yes.
Does the comfort tech system on a Benelli work well? Yes. I won't be buying any more personal shotguns in this lifetime. My Benellis are just fine for me for rough shooting, and I now use O/Us for upland game to spread the fun out for half a day. YMMV.

PS I use a stainless, or brass bristle brush chucked in a portable drill for cleaning gas cylinders, and the insides of the gas piston on Berettas. NP-3 coating should also make them easier to clean up.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Comfortech really works. I shot pre-comfortech Benellis and Comfortech Benellis, and the Comfortech Benelli had significantly less felt recoil.

I still think Beretta gas guns kick less. And Remington gas guns even slightly less than the Berettas.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Compare the weights of the Beretta, and the Remington. That may explain The recoil difference.
I gladly admit that the 20 gauge Berettas are sweet shooters.

The final choice will be up to my wife. She loves shooting our 28 and 20 gauge O/U shotguns, so who knows. She does have a 20-gauge Montefeltro, and doesn't mind the recoil. She will be pleasantly surprised with the comfort tech stock. I have been convinced by the passionate anti-Bennelli crowd; to a degree.

I will find a recent vintage Beretta 20-gauge, and see if she finds that much more agreeable to her shoulder. It is a present for her, so what she wants, she gets.

Speaking of wonderful wives, she is getting me a Night Force ATACR First focal plane 5 - 25 x 56 mm scope with the Horus Vision H59 reticle. Our first date was shooting ground Squirrels. She didn't want to kill any; just watch. After five minutes she was slaying the little beasts with the CZ 452 (?) in .22 WMR. God has truly blessed me!