New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do???
 Login/Join

<mattadams>
posted
I have an older Rem 40x in 222mag. The brass is getting harder to find and more $$$.
I am having it rebarreled and was thinking of doing it in just regular 222 or 223. I can't decide to leave it as 222 mag or not.
What would you guys recommend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 223 is the practical choice. It's up to you whether you want a BR type chamber or one of standard dimensions. I never found any practical difference in accuracy between the three cartridges and I have had pure benchrest rifles in all 3. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Kerry.S>
posted
Well you already have an uncommon cartridge and everybody and there brother has a .223 get a .220 Swift. It's common enough that you can get ammo at the local gun shop but most people opt for the .22-250 (another one that everyones got) and it pop's open a can of water like you won't believe.
Kerry

------------------
If you can't hunt, fish. If you can't fish, Hunt

<Big Stick>
posted
223Ackley............

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Unless you've shot it & know that the barrel is toast, I'd keep it as a 222 Mag. The 40-X's are wonderfully accurate rifles. Why take it apart over a $20 difference in brass? You might not get the same accuracy with a new barrel as this one already has. You're talking less than $50 per hundred on brass, and it will last you forever.

Keep it as is.

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Another note.

What are you going to pay for a rebarrel job? How much brass can you buy for that??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Matt, but the only 22s that catch mt attention wear short skirts.

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

[This message has been edited by Curtis_Lemay (edited 12-19-2001).]

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt:

I haven't called them about this lately, but I did for a poster from England. Blue Star Cartridge and Brass in Searcy, Arkansas, phone 501 268 6443, usually has plenty of .222 mag brass at reasonable prices. As do several others. I just have done a good bit of business with Blue Star and they are good folks.

As someone above said, I would not rebarrel unless the barrel is worn out. And then I would strongly consider the .223 Ackley Improved that Big Stick recommended above. You can use any .223 ammo to fireform and normally get very good accuracy while doing so.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless it will not shoot spend your money on bullets, brass and powder.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<dcan>
posted
Gee I have been lusting after a .222 Mag just because everyone has a .223.
If it is still a great shooter find 500 brass and never look back.