New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 LM in a Rem 721
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I find myself in the unusual position of starting a project that I would normally turn down but due to my relationship with the individual making the request, I am going to attempt the project.

My past posts have made it clear that I prefer Mauser and Mauser style actions for personal reasons and I do not disparage any other type of action. My opinions are my own but this has led to me having less experience with Remington bolt action rifles.

My son bought a Remington 721 in 270 Winchester and brought it home over the Thanksgiving holiday; he has asked me to convert it to .338 Lapua magnum. He likes long range shooting, hunts occasionally, and is what I consider to be a safe and cautious reloader.

I have converted several 700 long actions to .300 Remington Ultra Mag with success and managed to make them feed as reliably as the original caliber. Not too complicated but other than rebarreling, trigger work and truing the actions etc., this is the limit of my experience with Remington actions.

The changes I am considering are:
A more robust recoil lug (self manufactured)
Conversion to a better trigger of my son’s preference (and the associated machine work).
Using the Seekins Precision detachable magazine bottom metal and magazine (as per his request)
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index_p.php?p=dmag
Conversion to a Sako style extractor
A more robust ejector spring
An OTS semi-inlet stock with a bipod.

The barrel, scope, and mounts are already provided by my son so they are not negotiable.

The part of the conversion that bothers me is opening up the bolt face to accept the larger diameter rim. This is going to leave a very thin walled recess in the bolt face and is the reason I need to go to a different style extractor. I am uncomfortable with the final measurements of the bolt face but do not see an alternative.

There must be some of you that have done this conversion on the 700 Long Action, would you give me the benefit of your experiences? I appreciate it.

My son will be home on leave for a few weeks in February before he deploys overseas for a tour and I would like to have it ready for him to shoot by then since it will be the last time I see him for a little over a year.

I would do several things differently if I had more time and either of us had more money (he is a new 2nd lieutenant, and I have some large medical expenses right now), but he tells me that this is his way of forcing me to work with a “modern” action (his words, not mine). Since I am rather fond of him, I let this slide and hope he comes out of this with a rifle he enjoys. My wife laughs about our disagreement (CRF VS push) and tells me that for once, the cobbler’s children are not going to go barefoot and to shut up and give him what he wants. I am inclined to agree.

I would appreciate this not turning into a push feed vs a CRF issue; this is what he wants so I am going to do my best for him in the time and money constraints I have to work under.

Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't do this conversion. I know gunsmiths who do. Remington offers the 338L in the 700 P. I have not seen the bolt on one of these but amm tempted to believe a Rem extractor cannot work.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The Lapua can be fit into that action but it is definately not a "recommended" conversion. I'd suggest looking at the .338 Edge conversion instead. (.300 RUM necked up to .338) Ballistically at least equivalent, and some say better, it will fit into the 721/722/700 action much better than the Lapua and is a far more efficient cartridge.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life would be much simpler to install a PT&G .698"/.700" bolt body w/ face cut for the 338 Lapua as it will come machined for the pinned M16 type extractor & properly located/indexed ejector.

Or,chamber for the Rem 338 Ultra Mag or 338 Edge if 100fps increase in velocity is required.

1 mill cut to the RH side of the rear tang for safety lever clearance & a 700 trigger group will pin to the 721 action.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I did a 338 Lapua on a 700 action a few months ago. Dan welded the handle on the PT&G bolt for it. Great job by the way. I have built several 700's in 338 Edge, and quite a few 338 RUM's, but if I were to build me a 338 magnum, it would be the 338 RUM. Much better use of the room for using the 300 grain Match King, and the ballistics are right up there with the Lapua and Edge. But for me the deal breaker is you can use factory ammo if something were to happen to your handloads and you were far away from your loading bench.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would recommend you read the article by Dan Lilja before you do this project. Just remember when you read it that the 338 Lapua is based on the 416 Rigby case.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/ar...ngton_700_action.htm

Todd

Posts: 24 | Location: KY | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank all of you for the good advice. I spoke with my son and he wants to continue in spite of the article by Lilja and my misgivings. He has the options and is deciding what to do at the moment. I will keep you all posted. I suspect his cautious nature will probably be an advantage if he does indeed continue.

Thank you again,

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update as promised:
Just shot my son’s Christmas present (.338 Lapua magnum)

The rifle specs are as follows:

Action: Remington 721 (squared, trued and hand lapped lugs )
Recoil lug: Oversize Tubb
Extractor: Sako style
Barrel: Pac Nor hand lapped super match
Length: 28.250 inches
Twist: 1 in 10 inches
Contour: Heavy Palma
Headspace: 0.0007 over Go gage
Bottom metal and magazine: Badger Ordinance (had problems getting the Seekins in time)
Stock: factory wood Remington (temporary until the McMillan comes in )
Trigger: Re-worked factory
Muzzle brake: temporary (awaiting a JP enterprises)
Scope: Bushnell 3X-9 (temporary as it came with the rifle)
Rings and bases: Weaver (temporary same as scope)

Shooting conditions:
9 degrees Fahrenheit, 9-11 mph quartering headwind (approx ¼ value?)
Results:
12 rounds (Black Hills Match) fired from bags
Largest group size at 100 yards: 0.622” edge to edge.
Might be a real shooter with some finishing work.
As it sits now, the total bill for the rifle, barrel, and bottom metal comes to about $840 with about 6 hours labor on my part.
My son is pleased and I guess that is what is important.

It has been a great Christmas for me.