Notify
Tools

Re: Mathieu picture
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wow! That would be a fun project!

posted Hide Post
Okay, I see it now. Sometimes, the photos don't load from hosting site (in an individual browser).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong, but I think I encountered a Weatherby
rifle with this type of action a few years ago. I believe
it was a .30-06 or a .300.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Picture of left-hand magnum Mathieu action with 500 A-Square cartridge with 570 Woodleigh FMJ.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell us a bit more about these actions? Sounds like a good option for guys wanting left handed big guns.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,

The Mathieu action was built by the Mathieu Arms Company of Oakland, CA. It was a custom-built very expensive action. Introduced around 1950 and disappeared around 1960. The action body and bolt were machined from single pieces of steel. Has features derived from the Winchester 70, the '03 Springfield, and the 1917 Enfield. Frank de Haas has a favorable write-up on them in his Bolt Action Rifles, copyright 1971. Frank de Haas says they were most commonly used for building Weatherby calibers in the 1950s. de Haas further says that there is little mention of the Mathieu action in any magazines or other literature and most knowledge about them was favorable word of mouth. de Haas examined one for his book that had survived multiple barrels in Weatherby calibers and showed no wear.

The action in the picture has never been barreled or stocked. Have had it for at least twenty years and have never gotten around to building anything on it. (Have a bad habit of accumulating anything left-hand.) Thinking of someday building a fifty caliber something on it.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Other pictures available

posted Hide Post
There's no photo.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure there is.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS,

Is there no photo at all ?

Posted one photo, but have not posted additional photos because there was no additional interest posted.

Am traveling this week and will not be able to post any pictures until the weekend.

Hammer