Find
Notify
Tools

Where to Find 1909's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
I see a lot of rifles made form these and they have piqued my interest. Where does one find decent actions? Are these literally the 180$ jobs on gunbroker just worked over? I would think there is a limit to what a smith can do. Any advice is well taken.

_Baxter

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think there is a limit to what a smith can do

The only limit is your check book. Just look at all the millionaire gunsmoths Smiler

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Baxter, just keep your eyes open. They are around, but the prices are on the rise. 22WRF had one for sale here recently. you might want to check with him.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Gunshows

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you want; I passed on a 1909 the other day because some moron had put Weaver bases on it along with a Brownell's Ruger style bolt handle. Price was $250, including a Simmons scope.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone's interested in an original Argentine Modelo 1909 Cavalry Carbine drop me a PM. It's an FMAP not DWM.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could do a search in the classifieds, I have three ready to go with all the bells and whistles.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I would think there is a limit to what a smith can do.
_Baxter

I am sure there are limits to what a smith can do to an action, but its the whole piece together that you need to look at.

Take a look at the various books on custom rifles to get an idea of these "limits".

Two books that come to mind are Custom Rifles in Black and White by Steven Dodd Hughes and Modern Custom Guns by Tom Turpin. Those two books will give you some idea as to what those limits might be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are several on gunbroker right now.

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Jim, I did not see the ones on the classifieds, perhaps I was searching incorrectly.

I did see the ones on gunbroker and this is where I am unlcear. They are 170$ or so. Is that what a 'good' 1909 will cost? It seems people talk of these as kind of a 'holy grail' type of action but its hard for me to believe it all starts with a sub-200$ action. Just a neophyte here guys in regards to building from parts etc. I have no prior knowledge of what things should cost/be worth in regards to buying action s and how to know if it's a 'good one'.

_Baxter

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not the initial action cost that runs up the price of a finished rifle. Rather, it is all of the hours of handwork from a person who knows what they are doing that makes the finished price rise. It is most defintely not from bolting on new parts, but rather the massaging from loving and knowing hands. Just look for one without too much pitting and send it, along with a large check, to your maker of choice.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of two of the 1909 actions I had listed.I took some new Pictures of the Argentine actions. They are complete actions. They include a Timney trigger, Drill and tap for either two or one piece bases, rear bridge contoured, new bolt handle, two position safety, straddle floorplate with in the bow release and recontoured bottom metal.

They do need final polishing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theres one for sale on 24hourcampfire. I guess its all original (DWM). hes asking $325.

I didnt see the pics though.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote