New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on new stock bedding (pillar)?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a Bell and Carlson Duramaxx stock for my savage rifle. It is supposed to be pillar bedded. So my question is, should only the two pillars be touching the action????

I appears that there is some stock material sticking up above the pillars on my stock. Should that part of the stock be sanded down so that only the pillars touch the action or do I have the whole theory wrong?

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin B:
I just bought a Bell and Carlson Duramaxx stock for my savage rifle. It is supposed to be pillar bedded. So my question is, should only the two pillars be touching the action????

I appears that there is some stock material sticking up above the pillars on my stock. Should that part of the stock be sanded down so that only the pillars touch the action or do I have the whole theory wrong?

Thanks.

Pillars only provide half of the support to the action. The pillars provide vertical support, to keep the action from becoming distorted when the guard screw are tightened, and the glass bedding material provides lateral support, to keep the action from shifting about under recoil. For the pillars to be effective, they need to make full contact with the action and trigger guard assembly. Any material that interferes with this contact should be removed.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve found that the pre-radiused pillars you buy seldom (like howabout never) are a good fit on round bottomed receivers so I have started using flat topped pillars. The receiver contacts the pillar at six and tweleve o’clock and the bedding material fills in the gaps and forms the radius to a perfect fit for that particular action. It’s worked well for me doing it this way, others milage may vary.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote