New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions needed....case stuck in my model 70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted a sentence or two on the reloading board regarding my use of Barnes bullets in my pre-64 model 70, 270 win. The Barnes instructions told me to seat .050 off the lands, and use the Stoney Point tool to get it right....

Well, the dang 270 case that is used by the Stoney Point tool is now stuck bigger than hell in the chamber. I tried to remove it and broke off the tool inside the 270 case. The cases for the tool are drilled and tapped right where the primer is. I thought, "no big deal, I'll just push a cleaning rod down the muzzle carefully and push it out". Wrong. The oversize "primer" hole just lets the rod go on through.

I am really scared I am going to have to visit my gunsmith and have him "rechamber' the dang thing to get it out. I am real hesitant to have that done, as it is a collectors grade 1949 model of the rifle and I really don't want anything done to screw it up.

Suggestions sincerely appreciated.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Could you not take a threaded rod and screw it into the case. Then use that to pull the case out?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a piece of drill rod at local hardware or industrial supply, slightly smaller than bore, larger than "primer" hole.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
A real tight fitting brush on your cleaning rod will push it right out

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
couple more things to try - i presure there isn't much left of the case head. Try taking a larger stiff bore brush and running it in from the breach end. the bristles wont want to reverse themselves and usually you can pull it right out. #2 is to run a patch into the case and lodge it into the neck. Then take a threaded rod - mix up some epoxy and carefully CAREFULLY fill some of the case up gluing the rod into the case, then knock it out. you gotta be sure not to glue the case into the chamber though

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
use a wood dowl to push it out, how hard did you jam it in to get it stuck???

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If this experience has "put you off" a bit on the Stoney Point tool, please let me recommend the Sinclair tool to you as a delightful alternative.

It does not require ANY specially modified cases to be used (which makes it less expensive in the long run), and does an excellent job.

I am not knocking the Stoney Point...just never could see where there was a need for it. The Sinclair existed for years prior to the Stoney Point, and has always done just as good a job with less hassle, less parts, and less money required.

At least that's my opinion...YMMV.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Can you epoxy a screw or bolt into the primer hole and then push it out with a rod?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine how one could stick a undersized case, but, before getting too worked up, I would carefully push a few patches in from the muzzle to fill the case, which should plug the threaded hole, and then I would re-try the rod.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the action out of the stock and place it in your freezer over nite (the Brass will shrink up a bit) and try to remove it then. I've had very good success with this !!!

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it fixed. The Stoney Point tool has a weird thread size that is finer than fine thread. I went to the hardware store, got a big hex head bolt and a tap. Got the tap and attached it to a long rod and re-tapped the ass end of the 270 case to fit the hex head bolt. Then I screwed in the bolt. Insert cleaning rod from the muzzle and whap, whap, it came out. A gentle tap did not dislodge it.

Many thanks for all your suggestions! Canuck, I am going to look into the Sinclair tool. I have other Sinclair items and they are all first class.

Breathing easier!

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote