THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parker Hale 1200 Mauser 25-06 shooting poorly.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I friend of mine has a Parker Hale 1200 Mauser in 25-06 that shoots very poorly. It patterns 117 federal soft points like a shotgun. Can you give me any suggestions to improve the accuracy? I thought I might float the barrel with some card paper in front of the action ring. I ordered him 26# striker spring as well, because the old one seems very week. The trigger is adjustable but he likes the 5#'s that it takes to trip. Thanks in advance.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to check the crown under a good light for any burrs.If bedding and scope mounts are good to go then you might try another weight bullet or different powder.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Barrel wear ? bedding ? tightness of scope mounts ? Try different weight projectiles ? Different powder charges ?

Any number of things to check , start with the easiest to do and fix that , shoot some more , try the next thing. Its a process of elimination.

Good luck

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do anything drastic without cleaning it thoroughly for any barrel buildup and replacing the scope with one you know you can trust. Sometimes a scope can fail without obvious sypmtoms and drive you crazy....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote