New
Find
Notify
Tools

D&T FN Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I scored a H. Dumoulin FN Mauser rifle in '06. It is a very nice gun. It had a lyman peep sight in the factory holes on the side. I removed the peep to find that there is one hole in the middle of the rear bridge. So I have two holes for the front one for the rear. I don't like that style of base and want to use Talley bases. Putting the base on one way with a new hole behind and the bolt may not clear... put it on the other way and it will over hang on the action. So I am trying to decide what to do. Mill off the edge of the base so the handle clears? Or get a .860 base and do two new holes? leaving the current hole in the middle covered by the base? or better idea?

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Congrats, that was a nice rifle.

First off, make sure that hole on the rear bridge is correctly located. Since these actions were factory D&T'd only on the front ring and right side of rear bridge, it was pretty common for folks to add a hole to the top of the rear bridge to mount a one piece scope base. Problem is, all too often that hole is not centered at TDC. Check it first.

If it is good, you can drill another hole and have a rear Talley style base made to fit so that the base fits "normally."

Or, you can do the .860" and just drill two new holes.

I've always been bothered by a rear bridge with three holes so I'd just make a base to fit or get the .860" base and alter it to fit wherever I put the second hole in the bridge.

Some folks are more flexible than me and will have more options available to them.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always been bothered by a rear bridge with three holes

Sounds like a personal problem has no effect on the performance of the rifle.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Z1r, thanks for the info... all the holes apear just ever so slightly to the right judging from the front sight so it seems... but it might be the cast off stock that is throwing me. I’m really crazy about straight holes.... this one has a horn grip cap and but plate and nice wood. So I bit anyway. I need to decide which route to take.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'd just drill as needed and plug screw the center hole. no big deal.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the standard Talley bases don't fit you can always have a custom one made. Or, get Talley to send you one without any holes and custom drill it and a new hole.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I've always been bothered by a rear bridge with three holes

Sounds like a personal problem has no effect on the performance of the rifle.

Hmm, I think of it as personal preference, not a problem.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
Z1r, thanks for the info... all the holes apear just ever so slightly to the right judging from the front sight so it seems... but it might be the cast off stock that is throwing me. I’m really crazy about straight holes.... this one has a horn grip cap and but plate and nice wood. So I bit anyway. I need to decide which route to take.
Aaron

If the holes do end up being off, just do like Jim said and see if you can get undrilled Talley bases or make some and drill the holes in them to match your receiver. Done this more than a few times to save guns customers had "improved" by others.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I put LONG screws in the holes and it appears that they are straight lining up with the sights.. whew! NOW, Do I just use a one piece turn in style rings and mounts and leave the rear bridge alone? or do I get something nice like the talleys and drill and extra hole? I think the latter.
Aaron

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
OK, I put LONG screws in the holes and it appears that they are straight lining up with the sights.. whew! NOW, Do I just use a one piece turn in style rings and mounts and leave the rear bridge alone? or do I get something nice like the talleys and drill and extra hole? I think the latter.
Aaron

In addition to not liking three holes in the rear bridge, I also PREFER two piece bases on my hunting rifles. I would make that happen. In fact, recently did that on an older NIB Rem Mod 7 that only had one rear screw. So, I added another and mounted Talley Light Weight combo ring/bases.

Lotsa folks prefer a one piece base. Whatever works best for you. You could be up and running by this afternoon.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I don't have the jig... or fixture... and I would want it to make sure it was straight. I have one in my cart... just haven't pulled the trigger yet.