Notify
Tools

"Magnum Mauser" Your thoughts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I'm not bidding but I thought this might be of interest for discussion: link

After doing some research I have found lengthened actions to be very rare. This one is odd for sure. But some of the workmanship looks sound. Judging by the stock it has seen some use.

Your thoughts????

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it has been welded together it looks like a fairly good job. Kind of hard to tell from the pictures though.
Steve

Posts: 40 | Location: Brandon, SD | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can maybe see some color change on the action.

Cant tell at all on the bolt (nice handle).

Looks like a pretty cool piece, but I would have to see it in person to decide. Too risky buying it online.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I would not take a chance buying it, I am not looking for a longer action anyway. The bolt throw on this one must be pretty looong.

The bottom metal looks pretty interesting. I would like to see how it was put together. I don't think this is a great action. There were some corners cut... But the workmanship looks nice. I would really like to know the whole story.

If that action could talk I might buy it.

Jason

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
If it's right, it's a bargain of a lifetime. If it's wrong you just wasted $625. Considering it comes with a custom stock with a lot of wear I might be willing to take a chance on it. But, only after a long talk with the seller and a very liberal return agreement.

The stock is a nice plus for the project. It could be re-shapped and used as a pattern.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I'll echo Terry's thoughts.

I don't pretend to be an expert, I will say that if someone did weld two actions together, it looks like whoever did the work spent some quality time doing it. I did not see pictures of the feedramp or inside the rails, but hopefully they're as well done as the outside of the receiver. Also, I wonder how smoothly the action cycles with extractor forward of the rear brigde? I wonder if it hangs up when the action is cycled quickly?

Last thought - for $625, scour the Internet and used gun shops and find an old CZ or other commerically made magnum rifle. You can rebarrel it if need be but at least you'd be starting with someone factory made to feed longer cartridges.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not absolutly sure but it seems to look like a continental arms rifle from the 60s-70s ...paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Terry and Tex21

I was thinking the same thing as both of you. I don't need or want an action with a bolt throw that long. I have become too used to the standard M98 to even think of switching now.

For whatever reason I have always been fascination with these lengthened actions.

$650 is less than the cost of an FN action and a magnum bottom metal unit.

My biggest question is why the thing was taken apart in the first place. Maybe the barrel had some fancy hardware and was used for a another project???? And why the holes in the forend, for ballast? It looks like the barrel channel was inletted for a barrel with a pre64 M70 dogknot, but it has been filled. If only the action could tell its story....

Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Why was the barrel removed?

Because I imagine some enterprising individual got a good deal on this thing at a pawn shop somewhere and is now parting it out and selling it.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
How could someone make more money if the barrel is sold, then the action and stock were sold together.
bewildered
The whole thing is odd.

Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a sucker for this workmanship...looks pretty darned good...Perhaps made for 505 Gibbs? Odd interuppted guide rib, but suspect longer extactors were not available, or gunsmith left uncomortable lengthening extractor. I too would be worried about hanging up on the bridge. Sure would like to know who did the job

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Odd interuppted guide rib,

I cut and pasted part of the top bolt below the bottom bolt- won't be exactly to scale-

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I was going to mention that the extractor looked shorter than the standard extractor(measured it on my screen, looked .200 shorter), but now I see that it was due to the depth of the photo.

I have heard a rifle was built for SCI years ago using a lengthened Mauser. It was auctioned off for big $$$. The knock against the rifle is that it kept the standard extractor, which was left exposed ahead of the rear bridge. Some said that it could jam the action and wondered why he did not use a longer unit on such a high end rifle.

I wonder why the top of the rear of the extractor would not be slightly beveled to allow it to enter the bridge without the chance of hanging up. Maybe the rear bridge raceway was beveled instead?

I hope one of you guys buys this thing and tells us all about it. Don't be shy, Duane said,
quote:
I'm a sucker for this workmanship...looks pretty darned good..

Buy this thing with a stated 3 day inspection period and have it shipped directly to Wiebe for inspection. Ya can't lose!

I Don't want an extra long action, but I wish I did. This looks like it "might" be a good deal.

Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown