New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gatling Gun plans?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend who has the wherewithall and desire wants to build a Gatling Gun, a full-sized working model in .45/70 caliber. He is a retired district judge and has the proper licenses to make and deal in full-automatic weapons. Anyway, Judge Pearl asked me if I knew anywhere he may get a set of working plans to manufacture such a weapon. I did an internet search and came up with several kits to build a .22 caliber Gatling Gun, but nothing in the .45/70 class. Can anyone out there help, or send me in the right direction? Thanks ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW you don't need a Class 3 license to own a Gatling. It is classified just as any other rifle. Some of the mmaazines that used springs did not have a definite ruling from the ATF, but now that the Assault Rifle Ban has expired, it is a moot point any way. Any gravity-fed stick mags are legal under all of the rules

http://www.gatlingguns.net/index.htm RG-G site

The "forum" page is a BBS for Gatlings. THey often talk about full scale plans. I have a set of prints for the RG-G .22 but have not started it yet. That model takes about 450-600 hours to complete, depending on experience

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Mark's right. A Gatling gun is manually operated and as such is just like a Mauser or a Rem 7600. Building a crank mechanism to fire a semi-auto is illegal but the Gatling is o.k. I've been to the above-mentioned site and they state clearly that the plans can be upscaled to whatever caliber you want. I've fancied 30/40 Krag, myself, complete with putee's, a campaign hat and a carriage built with light motorcycle wheels of the sort that would be pulled by a single horse. Great fun, I imagine.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
AC,
If the guys you know are in California, they're violating the law. Check your BATF compendium of state firearms laws on that one. If you attached an electric motor to a Gatling, (incidently recreating the Vulcan which was itself a recreation of an idea from the turn of the 20th Century) you would have a fully automatic, Class III firearm that would be subject to all the strictures of both federal and the various state laws. Again, I refer you to State Laws and Published Ordinances--Firarms ATF P 5300.5, 25th Ed.

'nuff said.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7x57mm

I have a set of blueprints that I bought from Paul Moore (RG-G Inc.) in 1992. These were some of his first drawings. I started to build from them and things did not seem right.
When I started to ask questions on different parts I would get an answer, (Oh I have changed that). He has since updated a lot of his prints and instructions.With the
problems with the prints and the fact that I did not like the rotary magazine I went looking for a different set of blueprints. In 1998 I bought a set of blueprints from Model Engineering Drawings. These are to be exactly 1/3 scaled down drawings of a Colt 1874 Gatling Gun with a 30 round stick magazine.
A beautiful gun when finished.
Due to time and health I have not built from these prints but they look very good. I will post what contact information I have if anyone is interested.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote