New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 SS in .375 H&H with fibre stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I sure liked the way the stainless steel model 70 handled, but the stock was quite light. Can this fibre stock be added to weight in the buttstock?? Certainly muzzle heavy, Which I like, but I would like the total weight to be slightly heavier!!

ShondorP

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Remove the butt pad, drill a couple of holes, mix some lead shot with epoxy, and stick it in the holes. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could if you wanted place a couple of mercury recoil reducers in the stock.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen, that answered my question on the fibre stock. I have done the steel rod in the stock on wooden buttstocks, but was not sure if the same thing would work with the model 70 fibre stock.
Mercury reducers will be the way I go with the 70.
ShondorP

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a Classic Stainless in 338 Win. but my has a McMillan Super Grade fiber glass stock. This custom stock costs quite a bit more but it is a much better stock than the factory injection molded unit. If you want to add weight to the rifle just to reduce recoil, then maybe a better option would be to install a Pachmayr Decelerator pad instead. For me, a Pachmayr Decelerator or equivalent is much more effective in recoil reduction than adding weight to the rifle. Have fun. Cheers! Ming

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ming you own a cz & an M70 which is better in your opinion ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

As much as I like my M-70 rifles, I have to say that the CZ 550 Safari has a much better finish and fitting than the M-70. I just wish that CZ would make a stainless version of the 550 Safari. Have fun buddy. Cheers! Ming

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ShondorP,

have you been happy with your M70 ? would choose it again given the option ??

Ming ,

I am tormented in the mind in wether to go with the M70 SS or the cz when I purchase my .375 H&H, I am kind of wanting to give an M70 a go as I have never owned one but I am hearing a lot of bad reports, my cz .416 rigby is a great rifle I had to replace the stock with a Fibreglass, reinforced kevlar one (in the weatherby style). The CZ is $400 cheaper here in OZ and the stock probably needs replacing on either choice. Ming I agree whole heartedly about CZ making stainless synthetic rifles they would rule the market if the maintained there current quality.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

I have owned model 70's before and that is now my delimma with also deciding whether to buy the ssm70 375 or the cz550. I have neither at this moment, next 30 days.... but when I handled both in the gun shop, I still like the feel of the ss model 70. I do like the 3 position safety of the model 70, and the stainless, but I also like the sighting system on the CZ550 better. Then the better scope mounts of the CZ550, and the single set trigger, and I still find it hard to decide.... I always know some things will need to be done to either one, but it just seems the CZ550 is better out of the box, but then If you want to add a brake to a CZ, you might as well replace the barrel. So I still am leaning toward the model 70 SS. Does it sound like I'm not convinced....with money in hand, I probably would buy the CZ. More locals in AFRICA like them....that is good enough for me, or is that alllll they can get easily??

ShondorP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shondor,

here are a few more things to consider, and that confuses me. I like the cz's I own a .416 but there a bigger rifle the 550's sutied to .416's and greater. Are they the right choice for the .375 H&H which I consider to be an all round cartridge which needs an action that is may be a little lighter ??. The ssm70 is probably more suited to the allround rifle role in a .375 H&H than is the CZ 550, the issue is however that it seems people have been getting a lot of shit from the winchester factory which makes the cz the better out of the box rig as you said. I am like you though I still can't make up my mind, with a quality stock such as a McMillan on the cz 550 .375 what do you reckon it would weigh in at ?? I sthe weight diff b/w the two worth worrying about??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose what I am getting at is that the cz would be more at home in Africa than the ssm70 while the m70ss .375 would be more suited to mountains etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy PC,
Again I know what you mean. If you do want an action for a project gun later, the CZ still offers greater possibilities, and I do like the weight of the CZ...about 2 pounds heavier than the m70ss. But again for an all around 375...the m70ss still felt better at the gun store the other day.
Maybe I should buy one of each and find out for myself!! Don't I wish.

ShondorP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

I think you will find most people who are very pro M70, like myself, is because of action design. Of course how that design is executed is another issue.

I think if the action design is not something that either causes a lack of sleep or a nice sleep, then the CZ has more going for it.

One it does have in 375 is that long magazine.

Personally, given you are about to start with your 585, I can't see why your 416 Rigby can't be the all round gun for you.

Maybe your ideal gun that is missing is not a 375 but a second CZ in 416 Rigby that is properly customised by Waghorn and De Vries.

And don't forget, we should by December have a wider range of bullets in 416 than any other caliber, including 224 and 30 [Big Grin]

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike the second .416 is a thought that had crossed my mind. I was thinking about having the one I have got set up for shooting 300 gr to 350 gr McGuire "squat down" [Big Grin] bullets and a DeVries tricked up .416 for specifically shooting those 410 grain woodeligh's which I love. Thing is the way my collection of firearms is moving is to have firearms seperated by bore size and with each bore size increase there is a 100 gr or so heavier projectile. So I have the 30/06 shooting 165 grainers, then move to the .375 H&H with 270 grainers. .416 with 400 grainers. The gap between my .416 & .585 will eventually be filled by a .470 or .500 of some description (many years ahead)

Shondor what I really need to do is to actually see a M70 as I have never held one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

When you get to see a Model 70, make sure it is out of the stock. Then just look at the action both side on and upside down.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excuse my ingnorance Mike but what am I looking for ??

If I could be guaranteed to get a satisfactory M70 I would give one a go Mike. Just that they have been ragged a lot here. As they come out of the box are the glitches of the M70 all things Bob DeVries could fix easily ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

The two extremes are the Rem 700 and M70. From the underside the Rem 700 looks like a rimfire, a simple tube but the M70 is something altogether different. You will know when you see it.

Actually, the mid section or rail of the CZ and BRNO are very similar to the M70

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are we checking for straightness ??