Find
Notify
Tools

"Proper" way to flute a bbl?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Assuming that one has a standard sized mill and an indexer with a tailstock, is there a "proper" way to do fluting on a section of barrel?

Would appreciate guidance for the nubie. Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Barrel must be well supported throughout it's length. light cuts depending on how rigid your set up is i.e. .030" depth of cut. Lots of cutting fluid. Leave .010 for clean up at high spindle speed and low feed for a better finish.

And I don't use an indexer.
I have a 5C collet holder with square and hex blocks I use that for six flutes on a barrel.

What else did you want to know???

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I also use 5C collets with the square and hex blocks. Turn both ends to fit it prospective block and attach to the table. Shim the muzzle end so the flutes are uniform in depth from end to end. The square block remains fixed while the hex block is rotated to produce a 6 flute pattern. Simple and clean!

I may have some better pictures that show greater detail in the set up and actual fluting process. I'll post them if I can remember which file they are stored in. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had Krieger cut nine flutes into my fat cuestick. It looks great-- the flute and unfluted widths are almost exactly equal. No other like it in the world. Who ever cuts nine flutes?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thank you for the great information.

Do you not use an indexer because the 5C collet holder is 1) more accurate or because it is 2) simpler or because it is 3) more rigid or because 4) the setup is cheaper to put together?

Curious more than anything else.

Again ... thanks VERY much for the replies!!!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The 5C collet blocks are inexpensive comp. to an indexer.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Guys,

Thank you for the great information.

Do you not use an indexer because the 5C collet holder is 1) more accurate or because it is 2) simpler or because it is 3) more rigid or because 4) the setup is cheaper to put together?

Curious more than anything else.

Again ... thanks VERY much for the replies!!!

I have fluted barrels every way imaginable, but for me, the 5C collet and block setup was quick, accurate and very rigid. Also, the smaller profile lets me to get the cutter closer to the work holding device than the much larger dividing head and tail stock.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I flute on a large #50 taper CNC milling machine.....and yes,..I recrown after fluting..:-)

and just for interest the barrel in the pic is an 8" twist Kreiger that was chambered in 6x47 Lapua... in a very heavy BR contour...I recontoured it to a Remington Varmint contour..took three inches off the chamber end, rethreaded it to fit a 700 and chambered it to 243 with a solid pilot SAAMI spec reamer....and then fluted it....

recontouring is supposed to render a barrel inaccurate as is fluting..judging by the internet drivel I've read on the subject this barrel should shoot full choke patterns at best....and a solid pilot reamer?..how Neanderthal is that?....but it shot 105 AMax's under a half inch first time out....

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
What westpac said. Cheaper, easier, faster, setup with little to no difference in rigidity. It is most likely more rigid then a indexer.
But if you want more then six flutes you need an indexer or you need to clock the barrel in the collet block very carefully.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've been fluting barrels using radius cutters on my horizontal milling adapter. Cuts full-depth with one pass. I've been using a dividing head and dead center to hold the barrel but may try the collet setup. I have a plate with 5 jacks on it to support the barrel's full length while fluting.

Oh, and thanks to Westpac I think I'm going to have to paint my mill.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote